Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Section on Forum

Noddy could you boil one kettle of water and then pop in flask?
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...

Really boiling on the hob uses that much more electric? I allways thought it was tother way around. Bearing in mind a whistling kettle lasts a life time as opposed to an electric kettle that lasts what an average of three to four years? So cost of replacing humph? Wondering.........
    I made an offer today on a doer upper, which will be loads of DIY, was going for a chapel that needed converting last week, so may have a lot of DIY on the go very soon!
    Any one know how much it costs to bring gas in to a house from the road?
    Hoping and praying

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    think i t depends on how far it is

Aye you may be right. Friend reckons 3k, house is on main street and gas is there.
    Hoping and praying

have you not just moved though - or am i being incredibly thick - haha

I have just moved :0) Moved a few mths ago in to temp accomodation, (rented)
    Hoping and praying

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmos View Post
    Noddy could you boil one kettle of water and then pop in flask?
    It takes 30 seconds to boil one cup - so it's really quick - not sure if it's cheaper to boil a full kettle and store. 2 Cups is about 1 minute - so I think the cost is directly proportional to the amount - so think it's just as cheap to boil small amounts each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Really boiling on the hob uses that much more electric? I allways thought it was tother way around. Bearing in mind a whistling kettle lasts a life time as opposed to an electric kettle that lasts what an average of three to four years? So cost of replacing humph? Wondering.........
    I made an offer today on a doer upper, which will be loads of DIY, was going for a chapel that needed converting last week, so may have a lot of DIY on the go very soon!
    I'd imagine that extra energy is used in the transfer of heat from the hob to the kettle and then to the water - I did one google which told me that - now I've come to google it again I'm getting various stories - I was just comparing electric hob to electric kettle. It's a good point though Mav - electric kettles do seem to have much shorter lives! I did a fair bit of reading of Which reports - but the one I bought had just come out, so its' previous model was the one I read. It is the case though that I'd always overfill the hob kettle and never do with the new one as it has markers for 1 cup, 2 cups etc!

Sorry - no idea about the gas question - our previous house was a converted chapel though interestingly!

cheers
    Nodders

Could we have a 'Green' energy area IYKWIM Solar heating, wood burners, wind turbines and the like??
    It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled - Mark Twain ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Could we have a 'Green' energy area IYKWIM Solar heating, wood burners, wind turbines and the like??
    we've got the Eco Area - is that OK?? sort of goes together?

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=60

if you can breathe some life into that area would be great

Having just discovered on another thread that I know absolutely nothing about EU Electrical Regs, I think a DIY section could be a good idea