Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Please don't forget to feed the birds

Default Please don't forget to feed the birds

If you don't normally feed the birds in your garden then please put something out for them now. They are having a tough time in the ice and snow.
    There are lots of things in your kitchen that you can give them. Bread, crumbs from the cake or biscuit box (not savoury), dried fruit, suet, nuts but not salted ones.

Do not give them anything salty, uncooked rice, pasta, or dessicated coconut which will swell up inside them and kill them.

I've just fried a couple of slices of bread and then chopped it up finely and mixed it in with some dried bread, so it's not too greasy on their beaks. I also added a handful of raisins and some cereal.

With the weather so bad, it's best to feed little and often. The food gets frozen to the ground if they don't eat it quickly enough.
    Last edited by tiger; 22nd December 2009 at 13:40.

I've just put out some fat balls and fresh water. I don't feed the birds normally, but it is so cold more little things.

I used to put bags of bird seeds around my garden for the birds until I saw a rat in my garden and was told by pest control it was because of the bird food I put out, so I never feed the birds now. Some advise here on how to avoid rats for those that are still feeding birds. http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/inde...rticleid=18676

We've started to feed birds about half way through the year, and are now buying several packs of food a week - from Wilkins rather than Tesco. The birds seem to have a feeding pattern as they tend to visit and gobble it all up at a single time. I wonder if they remember where food appears? When we were away over the summer they were not fed and when we started again they did not visit - we had fallen off their restaurant list. We mainly get wood pigeons but sometimes the town pigeons join in; they eat much quicker with no manners. Quite a few small birds too but not sure what any of them are.

We have a cat that never catches anything but will sit by the window making teeth chattering motions at the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by thecouponlady View Post
    I used to put bags of bird seeds around my garden for the birds until I saw a rat in my garden and was told by pest control it was because of the bird food I put out, so I never feed the birds now. Some advise here on how to avoid rats for those that are still feeding birds. http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/inde...rticleid=18676
    Good advice. I worry about rats so I never put too much food out at a time. The food is on a coal bunker which I can see from my dining room window so I can see if food is left at the end of the day and then clear it.
    We used to put out seeds and nuts when we had our plant nursery and I would often find half eaten food when I moved plant pots and trays, where mice had taken them.

you had me panicking about the oats tiger, i'v looked it up on the rspb site
    porridge oats are ok uncooked, we are new to feeding birds but it is very rewarding

Porridge oats must never be cooked, since this makes them glutinous and could harden around a bird's beak. Uncooked porridge oats are readily taken by a number of bird species.

Sorry whiteguinepig. I'll amend my first post.

I feed mine daily - we have a bird table outside the kitchen window it is lovely to watch the variety of birds.

The squirrels like the food too

My mum has had the same problem with a (giant!) rat. She was keeping everything up in the trees but the supposedly squirrel-proof containers were being shaken vigorously by the squirrels to get the food on the ground. They were the third squirrel-proof device she had used. Squirrels round her way are obviously pretty clever.

Got two bird stations with mealworms, nuts, fatballs, bird seed and water. The top of the shed is still the most popular eating establishment in our garden though!