Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Please don't forget to feed the birds

Pack of 6 fat balls is only 1 in Lidl, also bag of bird seed for the feeder is 1

Quote Originally Posted by ben500 View Post
    Is that your hog in your avatar pookie?
    no,
    it is one I got from a thread on here,it was so cute I couldn't resist.

I want one, need a broken one though as my garden is enclosed so wouldn't be fair to a healthy one, need one that would be better off contained for it's own safety. Been waiting on a rescue centre for one but no dice yet.
    We had one in our old house, used to live under floorboards downstairs, airbrick was damaged and she got in through there, we thought for months we had rats, luckily I balked at the idea of putting poison down until we confirmed it. I opened up the airbrick fully and next night we saw it venture out into the front garden it must have been trapped a while, after that it became resident and I built a little ramp from the floor cavity up inside the house, very occasionally it used to come and visit us for some cat food and it absolutely loved cooked chicken breast. Sometimes it would curl up with the cats and crash out all day.
    Last edited by ben500; 23rd December 2009 at 18:02.

The birds in my garden are going through 2 fat/seed balls in a day and a third of the peanuts. Before I was only putting out 2 balls a month and peanuts every two months.

I am not an ornithologist but I wonder if there are unforseen consequences associated with feeding birds? It might inbalance the populations and have an adverse effect on other species that do not eat the stuff we put out. Birds will compete for other things like nest sites and if feeding benefits one species other may be harmed.

Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
    I am not an ornithologist but I wonder if there are unforseen consequences associated with feeding birds? It might inbalance the populations and have an adverse effect on other species that do not eat the stuff we put out. Birds will compete for other things like nest sites and if feeding benefits one species other may be harmed.

Anyone know?

I don't know but this is how the RSPB describes itself:

The RSPB is the UK charity working to secure a healthy environment for birds and all wildlife, helping to create a better world for everyone.

I don't feed the birds all the year round, just when the weather conditions are harsh. I do grow things in my garden that are good for insects and birds though - bushes that produce berries and plants with high nectar and pollen for bees and butterflies.

am hoping to be the proud owner of a bird table come xmas day...if santa delivers...i have never encouraged birds previously as we had a cat and didn't think it was fair...he died about a month ago, and since then i have been putting out bits of bread and DD made a fat ball at brownies a few weeks ago....we now have a resident robin and a blackbird which is lovely...they happily tuck into DD fat ball which she is very pleased with!!

We had a jay on our bird table to-day - at the moment we have all sorts.

Hi all.

I've uncovered 'several' 1kg bags of Tesco value mixed nuts and raisins in my kitchen cupboard - unsalted, almonds, brazils, hazelnuts. Will this be okay for the birds or with the raisins in can it be dangerous?

Thanks
    Jenx

my christmas tree is doing a proper job now instead of plastic artefacts it is covered in slices of apple fat balls and bread and the birds have been sheltering and feeding there all day. A Liverpool Yard