Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Shopping newbie queries…

Quote Originally Posted by Grace & Favour View Post
    and there's a limited number of organisations wanting shopping comparisons for Cromer Crabs aren't there?
    too right

I used to do mystery shopping but no longer - last job I did was a ski trip !! The woman said they were the best reports she had ever read and made her laugh for weeks!! But then again we HAD to stay in the nighclubs till two in the morning and HAD to drink cocktails - (so funny). But before that we HAD to do Apres Ski and check out the bands (with beer??)- Oh and eat in the nice pizza places - before which we HAD to have lunch with wine and the rest - This was just after a snack which had been before breakfast and inbetween all this was the skiing!! Mighty hard work that was. Absolutely shattered and ****ed by the end of it all - no wonder she was laughing for weeks!!
    Think things have changed a bit in a few years. And I think there is also alot more competition and the pay has gone down? But that was a good one!!
    Alot of reports on that one!!

Are you already working/employed/self employed?

If you are none of the above, perhaps even if you already are, I would wait a bit - you have 3? months to inform them if you are going self employed. So no rush there.
    Some of the places take N.I off you so treat you as employed, others you need to be self employed for.
    Just when you start be organised keep a track of all expenses,petrol,miles,what you get paid for the job - all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by black cat View Post
    Thanks, as you say the jury is still out on RE as their reports seem very long for what you get. However I am not sure if I am "on hold" with them at the moment anyhow, I did a MS on Tuesday, submitted the report and photo that evening.

However the payment for that is still in pending (this was the second MS I have done for them and the first payment moved within 24 hrs of the report going on). I have not had any contact from them to query anything.

I have just tried to apply for some shops which would be ideal for me but keep getting the error message "Sorry, you are not eligible for this job" so I wonder if I have been put on hold for something. Anyone any theories??
    I had send a question about this to RE, I have not had a reply to that but today got a message saying the the scan of the reciept was not clear enough and I was to re-submit this. I have done that and the payment has moved to the "due" section but I still can not select any shops. Oh well I will see if it sorts itself out overnight

Black cat, is your "status" (top right of the RE screen I think?) still showing as "probationary"(sp? - irony!) ???

When you sign up to RE, you are initially a probationer, until you've done your first job, and it's been approved. Then, you move to "Active" (can take anything from a day to a few weeks to change, but generally should be within a week).

Whilst you're a probationer, you can only accept one job at a time, do you already have a job booked out (as in one that you're due to do soon)?

Quote Originally Posted by ukmonkey View Post
    Black cat, is your "status" (top right of the RE screen I think?) still showing as "probationary"(sp? - irony!) ???

When you sign up to RE, you are initially a probationer, until you've done your first job, and it's been approved. Then, you move to "Active" (can take anything from a day to a few weeks to change, but generally should be within a week).

Whilst you're a probationer, you can only accept one job at a time, do you already have a job booked out (as in one that you're due to do soon)?
    It is showing as "Probationary (with job)" but I do not have anything booked with them going forward? I have done two jobs for them, the first was two weeks ago and the second last week. There were no queries on the first one and as I said I had to re-send my reciept for the second one.

My score is showing as "0" at the top of the page.

With any luck I am just stuck between the Probationary and Active status and it will get sorted out tomorrow. There are a nice series of jobs I could do next week if it would just let me

They are having teething troubles with the new website. I've been with RE for years, but was accidentally put back on probation for no reason! I've had no points awarded for jobs completed since the change, and I know I'm not the only one.

You need to tell IR within about a month of becoming self employed (well you're supposed to) as long as you tell them and file the return in time I doubt they will be that bothered.

With regards to £3.09 and £3 paid back, 9p is not your exepnse. £3.09 was your expense and £3 was your income so your loss is 9p.

Don't forget that fuel/travel expense (I think you can claim 40p a mile for use of your car) are also tax deductable as are other things that you need to do the job. i.e. internet, pc, printer, paper postage etc etc. Keep receipts for everything.

Don't forget that you can get money back from IR if you make a loss.

i.e. you've paid £2k in PAYE take through your 9-5 job, but you make a total loss of £200 setting yourself up for your new self employment (within the same tax year). The IR owe you the loss you made - so make sure you claim it back.

Trust me I know this works. As I've told people on here I buy & sell on eBay. So my expense is my stock. Thanks to a well timed purchase (just before the end of the tax year), I made a loss and the IR gave me £4k to cover the loss.

Of course, this (tax) year once I've sold the stock I'll have to pay tax on the sales as the purchase was already written off as a loss.

Not sure if I explained that well, but any questions, just ask !

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J Simpson View Post
    Don't forget that you can get money back from IR if you make a loss.

i.e. you've paid £2k in PAYE take through your 9-5 job, but you make a total loss of £200 setting yourself up for your new self employment (within the same tax year). The IR owe you the loss you made - so make sure you claim it back.
    Not strictly true, though I'm sure you *DO* know, but just haven't quite explained it 100% correctly.

What HJS means is that if you make a £200 loss, the IR don't owe you the £200, instead they owe you the tax that you've paid on £200 of your income c20% so c£40.

Correct me if I'm wrong and you're right HJS, please do, as I'd be in line for another payout from HMRC!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J Simpson View Post
    Trust me I know this works.

p.s. HJS, if you have anymore "tips" (I'm sure you know what I mean!) I'd *LOVE* to hear them!