Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Shopping newbie queries…

Quote Originally Posted by ukmonkey View Post
    Not strictly true, though I'm sure you *DO* know, but just haven't quite explained it 100% correctly.

What HJS means is that if you make a £200 loss, the IR don't owe you the £200, instead they owe you the tax that you've paid on £200 of your income c20% so c£40.

Correct me if I'm wrong and you're right HJS, please do, as I'd be in line for another payout from HMRC!

No, they cover your losses up to the amount you paid in tax.

Example being you earn £20k a year.

For arguments sake you pay £4k in tax.
    You become self employed and make a loss of £3k in the same tax year.
    IR will refund you the £3k.

If you made a loss of £8k, they would only give you back the £4k but you could 'carry' the loss over to the next tax year.

It's all about timing. I'm planing to get another £2.5k back this year

And, it's perfectly legit. They wouldn't give you the cheque if it wasn't !

bug.g.er. Do you have a source for this?

Don't suppose I can amend my tax return now then. guttardio.

Will need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that I've only claimed (and received) 20% of my net profit (which was a loss).

Hmmm.

Sorry, I don't understand how your net profit can be a loss.

My source is my own tax returns & cheques received back from IR.

I meant total profit/loss.

Looking on various websites in the early hours of this morning, it seems that you're mistaken sadly. Off to work in a min though so don't have time to find links etc for you.

Hello,
    does anyone have an idea how much can I claim for internet?
    Last edited by maira; 22nd November 2010 at 07:21.

Sorry To Poo Poo The Fantasy

My wife has been doing this for 2 years. Aldi £2, KFC£8, specsavers £70. The amount of hours, for wear and tear on a vehicle, electricity used sitting at the pc writing reports, Mcdonalds drive thru between 1-4 Am £12 which in some cases take hours. Ultimately you are doing everything for the agency. She is only still doing it because the UK economy is in such a mess. Courtesy of our current Chancellor

If she is spending all that petrol and time in front of the computer she might make more out of buying stuff on glitches that is suitable for resale on eBay. If she follows MSE, here, Hot Deals UK etc

I don't think this is a recession it's the new reality. Up till about 10 years ago the UK population was 60 million its now 70 million that's a lot more mouths to feed and for an economy to deal with another 10 million.
    Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy - Groucho Marx

Well said Georgie. Also hilarious to blame one person (current chancellor) for the state of the economy!! Total naivety. Open your eyes, look around at the world. Then also remember the state of the economy before this government took over.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Well said Georgie. Also hilarious to blame one person (current chancellor) for the state of the economy!! Total naivety. Open your eyes, look around at the world. Then also remember the state of the economy before this government took over.
    OMG. That's two posts in a row that I've seen from you that I agree 100% with.

I was once a mystery shopper (about three years ago)
    I went in different stores of several retailers, including techonolgy brands, tested products and pretending to be a customer interested to buy, completing at home all kind of surveys, but I got bored in the end
    I mean you have to create a plan like a real actor and then, when you see how little is paid, it`s a sort of disappointment
    Last edited by costin; 30th May 2014 at 17:27.