Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chickens in a small space

I'm going to be the only person anti-hens on this thread, sorry! We have 4 hens, 2 of whom are ex-batteries. I love them, and wouldn't wish them any harm, but we won't be replacing them at the end of their days. They are noisy - OMG, why do they like 5am! - and messy. We let them have a large area penned off, it is 7m x 4m at the narrowest, and it was a lovely grassy area. It now has no grass, lots of mud in the winter, and is just a wreck. The only plant they have left is the sage bush - maybe they know they might get stuffed!!
    Good luck, whatever you decide.

The chickens next door to me are lovely and they have just added 4 ducks and they are probably at there noisest (sp) mid-morning but its a pleasant noise.
    Hello all...

Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Thanks Triker. Thats good to know about the cats.

Can you feed them leftovers as well?
    Coming from a cat owner who has a killer ginger tom, he is not bothered in the slightest by the chickens and leaves them well alone... I did crap myself when I knew they had birds next door lol and did warn them he was a killer cat but its well weird he doesn't hunt the chickens at all x
    Hello all...

DO chickens need any special jabs or anything or just tlc?
    Hello all...

Quote Originally Posted by Floosy View Post
    Coming from a cat owner who has a killer ginger tom, he is not bothered in the slightest by the chickens and leaves them well alone... I did crap myself when I knew they had birds next door lol and did warn them he was a killer cat but its well weird he doesn't hunt the chickens at all x
    lol at killer tom!

My suzie looks sooo sweet, as if butter wouldn't melt but she is DEADLY
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

This cat kills squirrels, birds you name it but won't touch the chickens!
    Hello all...

Quote Originally Posted by Floosy View Post
    DO chickens need any special jabs or anything or just tlc?
    If you buy point of lay chickens from a reputable supplier they usually come vaccinated.
    I understand vets recommend wormer for chickens every 4 weeks but my mums kept them for 30 years and never used wormer.

I did read somewhere that you shouldn't feed chickens too many slugs as they contain parasites which can make the chickens poorly.

Hens can be espeically noisy when they are laying there eggs in the morning. Some more so than others (a bit like giving birth!) so perhaps thats what you are hearing when your neighbours chickens are laying?

If you do get chickens think carefully why you are buying them, looks or eggs. There are huge differences between the number of eggs laid per year between more traditional breeds and most laying pullets (which obviously are bred for more regular egg production) You can do a search on the internet to find out this more info on this.

I feed my chickens on layers pellets and they have help yourself grit (for egg shells) they have some scraps and then in the afternoon a handful of corn thrown down for them to scratch for.

How much do you reckon it costs to feed say 4 chickens a week, I spend a fortune on eggs every week as me and DD eat a low carb diet and I do loads of baking for t'other half. Prob spend about a tenner a week on eggs Would it be cheaper to have a few chucks instead?
    Fancy a brew?

Penfold has Suzie turned up?

Quote Originally Posted by tyroleandancer View Post
    Penfold has Suzie turned up?
    no, not yet...that will be 2 weeks tomorrow

She has gone off hunting before for up to 1 week, but never this long.

I'm just hoping that because we are now out in the middle of the wilds that there is simply more for her to explore. Half resigned myself that she isn't coming back, jsut hoping it is because she has gone feral as opposed to anything having happened to her.

We'll probably get her arriving at the door in October when it gets cold
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.