Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Premium Bonds

nothing for us this month - we won 25 last month.

Quote Originally Posted by ayjayays View Post
    the best thing to do is give it a try,very easy to buy over phone with debit card,if nothing won in a few months or a year its just as easy to get a refund,i only keep my bonds a max of 3 years,get a refund+buy a new batch ,the newest ones always seem to win.i certainly over the last ten years have had as many prizes-biggest 100-as i would have got in interest,worth a try
    My Mum also cashes them in and re-buys after a few years as she reckons the newer ones have a better chance of winning.

Is there any logic to the idea that newer ones have a better chance of winning or is this a myth? I would guess that people see the higher numbers or more recent holding winning more but surely this is a self perpetuating myth ie the more that cash in old holdings the less old holdings there are to win?!

Even without doing that I would imagine most of the money invested would be over a few years then taken out, so surely most of the money invested is going to be new (within last few years)?
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Don't think there's any logic in the thinking that newer bonds have a better chance of winning, or that it's better to buy in smaller batches.
    Each bond is a single 1 bond and has exactly the same chance of winning as any other bond in the draw.
    We've had a few 25 wins over the last few months and these have come from a mixture of older and newer bonds.

i think it looks like the newer ones win more as people cash the older ones in so there isnt so many of them ...

as someone posted that they cash theres in to get newer ones that will make it look why the newer ones win
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...

Bad idea! All numbers have the same chance.

If you cash them in them reinvest them you miss out on at least one draw as you have to hold them one month before they can enter.

Hadn't thought of that Billy, good point.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

my dad was on about premium bonds this morning, he has never won but my uncle who died last year had over 5000 quid in his "premium bond saving account".
    Is now a married woman!!

Fitst win came in yesterday.....a life changing 25! still at least means my numbers are in system.

yes we just got the one 25 this month