Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just made a fool of myself...what's new!!!

1. Default just made a fool of myself...what's new!!!

i went outside for a cigarette at 9.45pm and noticed that it was VERY dark at my neighbours house (she is approaching 75, a widow, and had a minor stroke about a year ago) now, we are not that close but i did go round when we had the snow to get her some milk etc. she always has an outside light on and goes to bed between 10-10.30 so i was naturally concerned to see the house in darkness. came in..what to do, so i phoned her and (luckily) she answered. she said that she was alarmed by the phone going at that time of night and i explained that i was concerned, but her outside bulb had gone apparently. i feel bad for upsetting her but i said that i would not have been able to sleep if i hadn't have checked up! i think i will go round tomorrow to apologise and maybe ask it she would like me to have her son's tel no. (dd1 has his daughters addy, but not much good in an emergency) oh what a fool i feel, i shot off the phone as i was so embarrased but she did thank me for phoning. i will offer to change the bulb, but i know she won't let me... she likes to pay people to do her jobs (gardeners, fencers, window cleaners, painters etc)

Don't worry about it. I'm sure she will be grateful that you are looking out for her. I always worry when the phone rings late evening, but I'd be glad to know that someone cared enough to ring.

3. Default

She's probably gone to bed smiling knowing that someone cared enough about her and noticed something untoward. You did a responsble and kind thing.

4. Default

Not a fool at all, if there were more people like you the world would be in a better place.

5. Default

much rather a little embarassment than a long time of regret - I think she would be pleased - I know I would be
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...

My elderly MIL lives alone and we'd be delighted if a neighbour did that, and she would be too.
    How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours

Totally agree with everyone else - you did the right thing

What a lovely thing to do

This reminds me of the time I found a confused elderly lady wandering around, she was there when I went up to the school and still there when I got back so I stopped and asked her where she lived. She could only remember it was a white front door which could have been any as they were all double glazed, so I took her home, gave her some tea and biccies and phoned the Police to see if she'd been reported missing. They wanted to know if she had anything in her handbag to identify her, as if I could go through it to find out! After a while her daughter and grand-daughter (who looked as if she worked for Police or ambulance as she had a uniform on) turned up and were quite annoyed with her and took her home. I know people have to work but would they have left a toddler wandering about?

10. Default

You should be proud of yourself that you cared enough to check.