Thread: Loft insulation

Default Loft insulation

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. House just bought has a certificate stapled to the loft saying 200mm of insulation installed in 2005.

I want to board it out and it is sticking up between joists so will be compacted by the boards.

I read up that 270mm is now 'the standard', so I'm 70mm short of that! Has anyone installed a top-up from 200mm up to 250-300mm and noticed a difference?

I wondered about pasting foil to the undersides of the loft boards before installing them?

Any other things people have done? (I must insulate the hatch too!)
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

No Idea bit here has just been an advert on radio for one of the power suppliers offering free loft Insulation to customers - didnt catch name but worth a google. Also last year wicked n b&q had stupidly cheap offers of 1 a roll
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...

Loft Insulation link

I wonder if this thread from MSE might help?
    Is a Scorpio and is going to stay a scorpio

Firstly, be careful, years ago my OH did ours without a mask, and got a chest infection the gp said was definitely caused by the fibreglass.

Which brings me on to my next point, our current house looked a bit on the skimpy side re: insulation so we bought some of the eco stuff (not fibreglass0 from homebase on bogof and spread it liberally around - or he did I supervised! - making sure to leave bits at the edge for ventilation. I think it has made a difference. Just had our monthly payment put down from 91 to 78 with the same supplier and deal, 4 bedded house and if I am cold the heating is on, full stop!

Oh and he forgot the hatch and had used up all the insulation and all his energy so that is on the list, will be interested in suggestions on how to do it.

Jen, DH did our hatch by putting timber round the inside edge of it, filling it with insulation and then another board fixed onto the new timber, making a sandwich. You might want to put some draught strip around the opening.
    Dom, DH who is a builder, suggests putting timber on top of your joists before laying the boards. He says compressing the fibreglass reduces the effectiveness. Leaving an air gap helps with the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    Jen, DH did our hatch by putting timber round the inside edge of it, filling it with insulation and then another board fixed onto the new timber, making a sandwich. You might want to put some draught strip around the opening.
    Dom, DH who is a builder, suggests putting timber on top of your joists before laying the boards. He says compressing the fibreglass reduces the effectiveness. Leaving an air gap helps with the insulation.
    thanks Tiger, sounds like a good idea, the hatch is in my son's bedroom and doing it that way means you are not going to have bits of loft insulation falling in the room when we go up in the loft!

Hmmm. Thanks for the advice... sounds quite a lot of hassle and cost to add extra timber throughout.... But I do see what he is saying.

You can get foam boards which are to go between the joists but one of those could be put under the hatch?
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.