Thread: Earth hour challenge

Default Earth hour challenge

"More than 5,200 cities and towns in 135 countries worldwide switched off their lights for Earth Hour 2011, sending a powerful message for action on climate change. It also ushered in a new era with members going Beyond the Hour to commit to lasting action for the planet. Without a doubt, itís shown how great things can be achieved when people come together for a common cause."

http://www.earthhour.org/
    or follow "live" on twitter @earthhour

What can we do to join in? Have a look at the I will if you will challenge .... http://www.youtube.com/user/earthhour/iwiyw

Lets see if we can make a difference one hour at a time M x
    GreenernCleaner - Teesside & North Yorkshire's Green Cleaning Eco friendly cleaners

I understand the ethics of this molly316 but have you not considered that some people who will do this will "make up for lost time afterwards" what I mean is a surge in consumption making cups of tea....Computer use ( some cannot go 5 minutes without this) THE LIST COULD BE ENDLESS

Good point - and yes I did think of that, ie if I gave up using fuel for the day, I'd just do the same journey the next day instead, or folks would just pause their activities at best and then surge back on after the hour a bit like the huge hike in consumption in advert breaks during popular tv programs as everyone rushes to make a cuppa.

I do like some of the challenges though and the alternative ways folks are thinking of to carry out tasks - ie hotels offering candlelight dinners etc. If I could encourage my next door neighbours to even put one thing in the recycling because I gave something up for a week or some other dare instead of the usual answer of why should I, it might just get them to rethink next time they fill their three bins to overflowing?

I already live a fairly green life, make things out of waste products & run a green cleaning business and my first degree is a BSc in Envrionmental Science but I still like to think I can do more and am always looking for ways!

I dont think its just about switching off for an hour and hope its more about re thinking our behaviour, after all thats how I quit smoking, I just didnt have one more.

M x
    GreenernCleaner - Teesside & North Yorkshire's Green Cleaning Eco friendly cleaners