Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: can anyone recommend a good breadmaker

Hi,
    Does anyone use vit c in their bread to keep it fresher for longer, read this tip on mse.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky View Post
    Im using a knife exactly the same as yours, think i attempted to cut the loaf too early, will leave longer like overnight from now on.
    I use an electric knife when cutting soft fresh bread - the cutting action has two blades always working in opposite directions from each other, which both avoids tearing the bread and makes it much easier to cut in a straight and controlled way. There's also no problem cutting a loaf whilst still warm.

I use a very sharp (and sharpened on a stone before each loaf) large (non serrated) carving knife. The bread knife just reduces most of it to crumbs, but a very sharp decent quality carving knife is perfect.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Cheers guys, do any of you add vit c Or known as ascorbic acid to keep your loaves fresher for longer?

I never have but that is new to me so I'd be interested to hear if anyone does this too.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah7 View Post
    I use an electric knife when cutting soft fresh bread - the cutting action has two blades always working in opposite directions from each other, which both avoids tearing the bread and makes it much easier to cut in a straight and controlled way. There's also no problem cutting a loaf whilst still warm.
    Yep an electric knife would be a great purchase if making fresh bread! Much easier to slice - less wastage/crumbs!

Isn't an electric knife usually a serrated blade though? I've never found a serrated blade a lot of good. Just rips it up.

Yes they're serrated but there are two blades - you don't get any shear effect overall because the direction of one blade cancels the direction of the other blade.