Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can anyone recommend a good breadmaker

I don't have a breadmaker but find it absolutely simple to make my own with a kmix hand blender. No kneading as the dough hooks do all that, and the bread is delicious (I get bread flour and yeast from Aldi).

Hi,

Just read this thread on breadmakers as saving up for the panasonic model at the mo. A quick question for all, do you use a good brand strong bread flour like allinson or is Tescos version as good as there is quite a difference in the price between tesco and allinson?

Quote Originally Posted by whisky View Post
    Hi,

Just read this thread on breadmakers as saving up for the panasonic model at the mo. A quick question for all, do you use a good brand strong bread flour like allinson or is Tescos version as good as there is quite a difference in the price between tesco and allinson?
    We use organic flour & go for either Dove Organic or Tesco Organic - can't really tell the difference.
    Chances are they're all made by the same company anyway! Have a look on the Tesco packaging as sometimes it will say 'Made by xxx for Tesco' (or something along those lines).
    We also get this 'stuff' (like a powder in a tub) from Lakeland which is a dough improver or something which makes the bread 'lighter' & seems to put more air into the bread. It's pretty good.
    Happy baking when you get it!

I use mixes; they're easy and seem to work pretty well. Wright's make all the supermarket own brand ones as well as their own. Most of the supermarkets stock slightly different variations, so that there's not too much overlap between the ranges available.

Thanks for the replies, anyone used tescos normal strong white bread flour as its almost 1 cheaper than others?

It's the Gluten content that's important. It normally tells you how much on the packet. If it's over 12% then it should be good for bread. I've bought the very cheap smart-price flour (not specifically for bread) which was 13%ish before and had great results.

Haven't used my cheap bread-maker for ages, makes great bread, but funnily enough hubby was bemoaning the fact I haven't made any in a while as he liked it so much. TBH we were getting whoopsied bread, the speciality ones for 10p so I got out of the habit as they were cheaper than I could bake them. I suppose I'd better retrieve mine from the garage again.
    NO more Tescos for me and 'customer service?' by Basil Fawlties - WHY didn't they let them watch the WHOLE of the training DVD's?

How uncanny is this - I have just asked the question on facebook about breadmakers as I may get one for OH for xmas as he loves fresh bread - I do want one with a timer though and one that you can through all ingredients in and leave it to do its stuff

I use tesco strong bread flour and it's fine. Loafs, pizza bases, pitta bread dough and rolls all mouth-wateringly good !

Quote Originally Posted by Wishes View Post
    It's the Gluten content that's important. It normally tells you how much on the packet. If it's over 12% then it should be good for bread.
    Do you mean protein Wishes?

The Tesco one I have says a higher protein content allows the gluten to develop, thats 12.6. Sainsburys strong is 13.4 protein.

I've not noticed a difference between them but we use them mainly for pizza bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah7 View Post
    I use mixes; they're easy and seem to work pretty well. Wright's make all the supermarket own brand ones as well as their own. Most of the supermarkets stock slightly different variations, so that there's not too much overlap between the ranges available.
    I've tried several mixes in my Panasonic and never had decent results. I've no idea why. I prefer to use strong bread flour and dried yeast.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.