Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulating Walls / Ceilings?

Default Insulating Walls / Ceilings?

We have an old house with solid stone walls which makes some of the rooms very cold in winter as one is also North Facing. We do have just had double glazed windows fitted but looking for all cheap ways of insulation.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of insulating walls using insulation lining wallpaper or building a new internal wall on top of the existng stone and filling this with insulation materials.

Also, to make matters worse we have a flat roof in parts so assumed no insulation above the ceiling in one bedroom, anyone ever fitted a false ceiling just to put insulation above?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky View Post
    We have an old house with solid stone walls which makes some of the rooms very cold in winter as one is also North Facing.

That's quite unusual, most houses are built with all wall south facing
    we must live with our enemies as if they might become friends and our friends as if they might become enemies La Bruyere

Unhappy

Thanks for your help on the matter, yes an obvious mistake as meant to say one of the bedrooms faces North.

Most Unusual!!

Sorry, couldn't resist, we live in a similar property and found it helped to
    Alter one window to let more light in
    Cut down two tree, ditto
    Build a false wall inside the bathroom walls because it was so cold in there
    Drill a hole in the back of the fireplace so air drew from outside, rather than sucking cold air through the house
    Not get soft when in other locations, eg don't get heating cracked on full at work because you're not used to real temperatures!
    Have snuggle blankets for sofa.

Any other ideas I'm glad to hear them too!
    we must live with our enemies as if they might become friends and our friends as if they might become enemies La Bruyere

Btw we put polystyrene skim between false bathroom wall and real one it has made quite a difference bit we've lost about 9 inches ofbathroom

My mate just started working for a company that puts insulation on the outside of the house! Apparently it's a fairly new system. Could be of use? (my mate has quit as job wasn't what he thought it would be)

Quote Originally Posted by CD627 View Post
    My mate just started working for a company that puts insulation on the outside of the house! Apparently it's a fairly new system. Could be of use? (my mate has quit as job wasn't what he thought it would be)
    A few houses by me have has this done, it looks like a rock climbing wall during the process!!

Quote Originally Posted by CD627 View Post
    Interesting !!! What is the finished result ? Can this be seen ?

TBH I've know idea - I've never seen it. He only did just did over 1 week training & decided it wasn't his cup of tea. He said its rendered/plastered on top of the insulation. He is a plasterer & was doing the plastering/rendering bit but I don't think he was keen on being outdoors in the cold & rain over winter! Lol. I can find out the name of business & I'm sure they must have a website with pics.
    I reckon as it's a new type of insulation system they may be looking to pick up government grants like the cavity wall insulation firms & the solar pannel groups did. We'll see I guess in the future if this does happen.

Our kitchen is the warmest room in Winter because it's dry lined. We also had the bathroom done but it doesn't feel any different to me. We only lost about 3", battens plasterboard, skim, maybe thats why.

There's a special thermo plaster I was looking at for under our bay windows. I won't have the walls in the front room dry lined because the ceiling is curved but have looked at the thermal wallpaper.

We also use spot heating, blankets on sofas, blackout/thermal curtain linings.

It's not an easy or cheap fix. I don't think we'll do anything major as we intend to move in 5 years.