Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas day lunch ideas

Quote Originally Posted by joaniemerc View Post
    This sounds delish - I've cut and pasted the recipe and sent it to myself in an email and am going to give it a go. We are having our big Christmas meal on Sun 23rd (we're visiting rellies on C Eve coming back on C Day) and was looking for something else to go alongside the Christmas food bundle I've ordered from M&S. So turkey crown and lamb.... sorted!

Have a rep!
    Ditto Thanks OV
    It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled - Mark Twain ♥

I am going for turkey + a veggie option for my DIL and a homemade pud a meringue toffee thing or a banoffee pie. I am stuck for a vegetarian starter to save me having to make 2 . Any ideas - something easy to make which will get me brownie points with the family. I usually make a pan of broth but I can't get it to taste the same when I don't add a big chunk of beef. help please!!

Smile

My MIL is a veggie and she does lovely goats cheese tartlets sometimes, they could be a starter.

Poundsinbucks x
    loves making FREE money

Quote Originally Posted by Poundsinbucks View Post
    My MIL is a veggie and she does lovely goats cheese tartlets sometimes, they could be a starter.

Poundsinbucks x
    Goat cheese is a real love it or hate it thing though, I'm veggie and HATE it but for some reason it is the current alternative to meat on many menus.

Gruyere or smoked cheddar and caramelised onion tartlets are a fab idea though with smoe nice salad leaves and baby tomatoes on the side.

You can make the tarts before hand using shop bought pastry too and just warm through in the oven on the day to save effort.

Thanks will give the carmelised onion tarts a try as I grew loads of onions this year

i think they do a lot of goats cheese in veggie dishes to try and stop blandness, goats cheese is very strong
    we like quorn best (i am going to go to the start of the thread now and read lol , i didn't realise this was a veggie thread)

editing,
    no it isn't , i'm not really with it at all today!!

Some goats cheese is very mild - Ts do a soft goats cheese with a lovely creamy mild flavour - a delicious starter is fresh figs stuffed with this and baked for c. 10 mins, then drizzled with a little honey and balsamic vinegar. You can add chpped thyme or rosemary or chopped roasted walnuts or toasted pine nuts.

I'm another veggie who hates goats cheese, and it does my head in the number of places that have goats cheese as the veggie option. Just seems very unimaginative to me.

Although it is one step up from places that advertise fish as the veggie option!
    No longer a friend of Tesco. Farewell DTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
    I'm another veggie who hates goats cheese, and it does my head in the number of places that have goats cheese as the veggie option. Just seems very unimaginative to me.

Although it is one step up from places that advertise fish as the veggie option!
    i made a vegetarian chilli with quorn mince a few weeks ago ... went down a treat even non-veggies coudnt tell it was vegi
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...

i like quorn the best, i don't really like the tesco meat free range at all,
    we also sometimes have cauldron
    i think they tend to make vegetarian food highly flavoured to compensate for no meat
    we prefer quorn to other brands