Thread: Pilates or Tai Chi?

Default Pilates or Tai Chi?

How gentle is pilates & does it help with relaxation or would I be better with Tai Chi? I'm not very good with exercise (something to do with running in navy blue pants and a vest top in sub zero temperatures at school I think). I'm having real trouble trying to relax an wondered if either would help? I've also got tendinitis in my shoulder which is a pain. Thanks x
    In loving memory of my gorgeous husband & best friend ... Andrew xxx

I can't speak for pilates, but Tai Chi is very gentle. I go to a class once a week and find that I feel both energised and relaxed afterwards. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but that's how it works for me. It's supposed to improve the flow of your chi or energy, so maybe that explains it.

Tai Chi won't burn calories, but it will help to make you a bit more supple. And unlike yoga you don't have to hold any one stance for a long time, so you're not straining anything.

My teacher is always very clear that you shouldn't do anything that hurts. We have had people of all ages in the class, from early 20s to early 80s.

Thank you Second Born, that's really good to know. I just want to feel better not burn calories

I do Pilates twice a week and have done so for a year or two. I absolutely love it and it has been instrumental in helping me get my body back into shape as it's all about posture and is fantastic at helping people recover from injury. The classes I attend are very mixed from young women to one lady in her 80's who has had two new hips. I went to my first class as a taster, from my GP and loved it from day one and that would be my suggestion - try a class of both (or any other that take your fancy) and see what you enjoy best. Like you I HATED (with capital letters lol) exercise, and I'd sooner die than run anywhere.

Thanks Hydro, I will make enquiries and see what's available. Your suggestion of trying both is fab. I'd never thought of that lol. (I think that comes under the heading of "You can't get the staff" lol.) Rep on its way xxx