Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lump in Neck

Default Lump in Neck

I have a lump in the front of my neck - it looks as if I have swallowed a golfball and that I have treble chins!! No other symptoms at all, and I have had a bad cold which is pretty much gone but the last remmnants are still there!

I did see the Dr the week before Christmas, as I needed a sick note following my bladder operation. I asked her about the lump and she had a feel about and it was a swollen gland in front of the thyroid and said it was unusual, but nothing to worry about, and was probably just a reaction to the cold. Didn't say I should go back, and left me with the impression it would go on its own.

However, nearly 2 weeks later, its still there. It looks horrible, and I am getting quite self conscious about the treble chin thing, and the lump particularly when I swallow.

Has anyone had anything like this before?

I am going away tomorrow, and although I am seeing the nurse first thing for a dressing check, I asked her about it on Thursday and she said I would need to see the Dr again as it wasn't something she could discuss. Am unlikely to get an appointment before I go, and as it doesn't hurt etc I'm not that convinced I need one. However, I just want to know what it is and when it will go!
    No longer a friend of Tesco. Farewell DTD.

When you see the nurse tomorrow, make an appointment to see the Doctor.
    It might be a swollen gland but it sounds like a goitre. I had one removed years ago. It didn't affect my thyroid and I have been fine since. Whilst I was waiting for the operation I think it must have grown inside as I had difficulty swallowing some foods.

I've no medical training so I have no idea if this is what you have but I think it is worth seeing the doctor again, but as far as I know it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks Tiger.

I will try and get an appointment tomorrow, however if you don't phone up on the dot of 8, and then manage to get through the permanently engaged tone, you don't stand a chance of getting an appointment, as you have to book on the day!

I am seeing nurse at 8.30, so will only have limited opportunity to phone before having to drive there, although I might try and get there early then I could actually be there and possibly have more chance of getting appointment.

Am supposed to be driving to Essex straight after - inlaws have booked a nice cabin there for a week and are already there with kids, so I am meeting them and staying til Saturday. Guess a couple of hours delay won't hurt though if I have to wait and see Dr. I just want a bit of reassurance as to what it is, why I've had it so long, and why it isn't going!

I had a cyst for several years on the front of my neck about 25 years ago. It was only after seeing my wedding photos I realised how obvious it was and resolved to get it done. It was an overnight inpatient jobby and apart from a line of stitches and the subsequent Frankenstein jokes from colleagues, it was hassle free. Wish I'd done something about it earlier. Was painless and quite firm and yes golf ball sized.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Its strange, my daughter was taking pictures at the beginning of the month when we went to a concert, and took one of the two of us, and I looked horrendous due to double/treble chins. I've put a bit of weight on, although weigh less than I have done before, and put it down to that. Did think it a little odd, as didn't have chins like that when I've weighed more!

I don't really look in the mirror that much at my face (would really rather not!) but am at home more due to surgery, and just happened to notice this lump a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how long its been there, although I'm sure it can't have been much before this as although I don't study myself in the mirror, I brush teeth in front of it etc so like to think I would have noticed it!

If it got to the surgery stage Dom that wouldn't bother me - am rather a veteran of them and have another one in Jan on my bladder. I guess thats several stages on though, first thing is to confirm what it actually is and take it from there!

I would definately go back and see your GP and get it checked out properly Ladyshopper.

If it was me I would be asking to have an ultrasound and blood tests to have it properly diagnosed.

I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis (autoimmune thyroid disease) which means that my immune system is gradually destroying my thyroid.

Although I don't have any visible lumps on my thyroid I also feel like I have a lump in my throat and I often have difficulty swallowing.

When I needed an ultrasound of my saliva glands the doctor (who didn't have my medical notes) could see that I had hashimotos because of the state of my thyroid and asked did I know!

It might well be a harmless cyst or lump, but if you do have a thyroid related diagnosis, I would highly recommend checking out this website & their forum for all things thyroid related:

http://tpauk.com/

I don't wish to offend any doctors on here, but in my experience (and that of many others!) thyroid conditions can often be left undiagnosed. I know mine was for many years until (in frustration) I had some blood tests done privately which confirmed my diagnosis. On the basis of that my GP sent me to an NHS endocrinologist who confirmed the diagnosis.

Although I am managing my Hashimotos, I wish I had took he initiative sooner rather than later instead of just going along with what my GP said as I could have slowed down the progression of many years of damage.

Anyhow, sorry for waffling on. Good luck at the doctors, I hope they sort you out a diagnosis & soon!
    Do let us know how you get on?
    MM x
    Last edited by mutley muppet; 30th December 2012 at 19:28.
    Please adopt a rescued dog or cat from your local animal shelter!

Your post is very interesting MM. I had never heard of Thyroiditis until this Christmas whilst talking to my brother and SIL on the phone. We live over 240 miles away from them so don't see them often. They said my niece has an underactive thryoid and also thyroiditis. She's having treatment for the thyroid but still can't shift the huge weight gain and feels very unwell. She's been told there is no treatment for the thyroiditis.
    I'll suggest that she takes a look at that website.

Tiger I am so sorry to hear that you niece is struggling with her Thyroid. There is no cure for Hashimotos but there are medicines you can take and dietary changes that can help.

My dentist (of all people) recommended I check out the Thyroid Patient Advocacy (TPA) website as he was certain that I had thyroid problems.

Despite thyroid problems running in my family, my GP would only ever do a standard TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) blood test and tell me that all was fine. I struggled on for years with some really nasty symptoms.

I researched how the thyroid works and what other tests and treatments are available and surprise, suprise, my more detailed private blood tests came back positive. I have really high TPO anti-bodies that are slowly destroying my thyroid.

I'm not on any medicine for it yet but I am managing it with a gluten free diet (gluten encourages the anti-bodies) and supplements that ensure my thyroid is functioning as best it can.
    It is really important to make sure that you have the correct levels of certain vitamins & minerals to ensure your Thyroid can function.

I feel so much better than I did and for me it is such a relief to know what I am dealing with so I can manage it the best I can!

They are a really helpful bunch on the TPA forum so I really hope your niece gets some help & support there. Tell her not to worry if she finds any of the medical jargon a bit overwhelming at first, I know I did, but it all sinks in eventually!

MM x
    Please adopt a rescued dog or cat from your local animal shelter!

hi ls

does sound like a gland, if in a bit unusual place, i have une under my jaw line.

goitre is a very different shape, i'm having investigations myself for this atm, best get seen

if u wanna send me a pic i can pm u my mobi number?

xx
    Weight loss total: 4 stone 8lb! at the top of target range oops!

I have had thyroid issues for donkeys years. Originally I had a goitre that was biopsied so flaming often I thought I would leave a needle in there permanently! Eventually after 3 years of this I had surgery to remove the goitre area leaving me with sufficient thyroid to be tablet free. After surgery they mentioned in passing that they found an 'incidental' cancer within the removed tissue but that it was fully removed and I was signed off. They also warned me that any times of high hormonal changes might make my thyroid temporarily swell, and both my pregnancies did this.

Move on 12 years and me thyroid swelled for no obvious reason and after about a year of it bwing obcious I went to my GP who refered me to hospital. They did a biopsy just to be sure it was all OK, they were really laid back about it, assuming there would be nothing. I had a phone call at work two days later asking me to go in the following day to discuss the results....cue a night of panic! Sure enough, it was cancer but they were very good and explained that it has an almost 100% cure rate (not remission, proper cure) and booked me in for surgery later that week. They removed an orange sized tumour and I had 5 follow up radio active iodine treatments over the next 2.5 years and now am free from any problems. I have to remember to take my tablets, but I feel blinking awful if I forget.so quite an incentive to remember!

All in all, I would ask to be refered to your nearest ENT department just to be on the safe side. And if it is dreadful, its the best dreadful possible, if that makes any kind of sense. It is long and boring, but thats all, so get yourself booked in now!