Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainwater has seeped under kitchen floor - will insurance pay?

Default Rainwater has seeped under kitchen floor - will insurance pay?

We discovered wet grout in between our kitchen tiles and called the insurance co. who sent out a Track and Trace company who came yesterday.

After 2 hours of investigation they concluded that the wetness was from rainwater seeping through from outside under our kitchen floor as the level of the kitchen floor is lower than the dampcourse (our house is 1940s built) and the excessive rain from the last few years has seeped through.

He thinks a solution would be for a drain to be laid outside the wall to soakaway excess rainwater. The kitchen floor would have to come up to be dried out.

Just thinking that, as this isn't a leak, would the insurance company cover the cost of taking up and drying out the kitchen floor and laying a drain? I know I can check my policy but am not at home and thought someone on here might have experienced something similiar.

TIA

Read you policy

Wait for your insurance people to advise their views.

Maybe seek advice to confirm insurance people are correct.

Your policy may state customer always needs to take correct actions to avoid problems and claims/costs to the company, for example, if you find any faults or advised the same, you need to sort them out.

Good Luck...

They might do, some years back my dads upstairs loo must had a really slow leak going on in some way and eventually it affected his kitchin ceiling, quite a lot if work had to be done about 4000 and it was covered, mind he had been paying for about 60 years at that point and never claimed anything.
    Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy - Groucho Marx

i had rainwater comming in my ill fitted windows and ruining the walls & wall paper ..They refused to pay

but no harm phoning up

Sounds like it is one of those things that is now at the discretion of the individual insurance company. With Dads situation it was kind of affecting the structure of the house rather than decor (although it messed that up aswell such as it was) and the claim was made under the House Bricks and Mortar type Insurance, rather than the content insurance.

Don't know if that makes any difference.
    Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by heatherks View Post
    i had rainwater comming in my ill fitted windows and ruining the walls & wall paper ..They refused to pay

but no harm phoning up
    Thanks, I'm thinking it's going to be the same type of situation.

There isn't a leak to be fixed as such so I think they'll say our failure to maintain outside wall/patio whatever has caused seepage. Although the house was built in the '40s when the floor/dampcourse would have been done. Even tho' it does appear to be wear and tear or a bad design at time of build, I know they won't entertain that.

I think we'll have to pay our excess to cover the cost of the track and trace people who came yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Your policy may state customer always needs to take correct actions to avoid problems
    Yes, I reckon they'll say something along the lines of "failure to maintain...." which I suppose is right even though the problem was caused by floor/dampcourse not being correctly laid/fitted, so just our bad luck.

Have to keep it real, there are worse things in life!

Late reply, but if you have accidental damage cover on your policy, this will usually cover internal damage to you property even if the cause that allowed the ingress of water is not covered i.e. maintenance.

"late" - only by almost 14 months hehe!

Lol, saw March but not 2013!

I guess better late than never doesn't quite apply in this case then.