Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low carbs

Default low carbs

Hi am diabetic and having trouble getting my bloods below 10 someone said i should have a low carb diet, being a bit thick lol, not sure what i should stop eating, is it bread and potatoes.
    Don't let life get you down.

Quote Originally Posted by minxbobine View Post
    Hi am diabetic and having trouble getting my bloods below 10 someone said i should have a low carb diet, being a bit thick lol, not sure what i should stop eating, is it bread and potatoes.
    sorry you are struggling. Yes potatoes, pasta, rice, bread there are other foods high in carbs but hopefully cutting down on the above will help. has you diabetic nurse suggested this?

my daughter but i am careful what i eat but nothing helps so thought i would give low carbs a go

This gives an idea of the sorts of things to avoid
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...bohydrates.php

Most vegetables are low carb, except starchy ones and ones like peas, sweetcorn, carrots
    My understanding (but I'm not a medic) is that people who are diabetic should be aiming for low GI rather than strictly low carb - ie avoiding high GI foods which the body converst to glucose - so (for example) choosing unrefined carbs in preference to refined wherever possible - wholemeal bread instead of white, brown rice not white, porridge not processed cereals, etc - but there's a lot more to it than that!

Not all carbs are bad! It's better to eat fruit and veg, even higher carb ones, than cakes and crisps.

Can your GP refer you to a dietician for some advice?

Keeping active can help.
    DH who is diabetic had an operation last year and had to rest. His blood sugar went up but once he resumed his normal activities, his blood test results went back to what they were before.
    It's probably something you need to discuss with your nurse or doctor, but maybe a daily walk might help.

You can ask to go on a course for a few weeks which helps. They run it regularly for newly diagnosed diabetics. Low carb could be dangerous for you on certain medications . Slow burning ones like whole grains and oats are better.

i eat a low fat diet and always have suger free drinks, i am not good with veg and fruit, i do eat them but they do not agree with me i always end up bloated and in pain i have diverticulitis at these food up set me so even though i eat them i dont have too many, if i eat a high fiber diet which i should with that condition i end up feeling ill witch does not help my sugers its like a visious circle, what i should eat for one condition effects another .

Hi, I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic, I went to gp for a bloodtest as I was getting lots of symptons and it is in the family.
    When the result came back my gp was mystified as I am not fat and I exercise. In desperation I searched the web and found diabetes.co.uk, and read the forum there about low carb diet and success stories and decided to go for it.

My figures are now totally non diabetic, although I am not cured if I eat normally my bg goes up. My gp is aware of my diet and supports me, it is not what I would choose to do but being aware of diabetic complications through my close family I was desperate not to became fully diabetic.

I eat no bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc., very little starchy veg, no cakes or puddings etc., except for nightly 2 peices of 90% chocolate. I don't have sauces with flour in, obviously if i eat at a friends I will have eat a little carb to fit in!
    I do eat loads of salads, greek yog, veg, fish lean grilled meat, I drink red wine, nuts, berries you get the idea. Low GI doesn't work for me about 10 kidney beans in a chilli with no rice shot my blood sugar up after 2 hours, although I can eat the occasional slice of bread with no ill effects!

Quote Originally Posted by hippygirl View Post
    This gives an idea of the sorts of things to avoid
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...bohydrates.php

Most vegetables are low carb, except starchy ones and ones like peas, sweetcorn, carrots
    My understanding (but I'm not a medic) is that people who are diabetic should be aiming for low GI rather than strictly low carb - ie avoiding high GI foods which the body converst to glucose - so (for example) choosing unrefined carbs in preference to refined wherever possible - wholemeal bread instead of white, brown rice not white, porridge not processed cereals, etc - but there's a lot more to it than that!

Not all carbs are bad! It's better to eat fruit and veg, even higher carb ones, than cakes and crisps.

Can your GP refer you to a dietician for some advice?
    I agree with nearly all this hippygirl. Low GI foods is a great place to start. But I believe that the thinking has now moved on from low GI, to low GL - Glycaemic Load.

Potatoes for example digest fairly quickly and also have a lot of carbs. Potatoes therefore have a moderately high GI and a fairly high GL.

The carbohydrates in carrots also digest quickly, giving them a fairly high GI. BUT carrots don't have anything like the quantity of carbs as in potatoes - you'd have to eat a bucketful to get the overall quantity of carbs as in a portion of potato, which of course you wouldn't do. So carrots actually have a fairly modest GL. So despite the apparent high GI, they are actually on the 'good guy' list when measured by GL.

The explanation is that GI is measured using the same amount of carbohydrate for each foodstuff. If its concentrated, like in sugar, you only need a spoonful. If its sparse, like in carrots you need a bucketful. GL is calculated by multiplying GI (broadly the rate the carb in a foodstuff is digested) by the absolute amount of carbs in a portion.

As I understand it low GL is good for most people, and especially diabetics who don't take any medication for it. And whilst it is probably also beneficial for diabetics who do take medication for it (whether pills or insulin injections) they need to be careful about making major changes to their diet, and changing to a lower GI or lower GL diet will probably also require a reduction in medication - not a bad thing, but something to consult a healthcare professional about for most.

I hope things are going a bit better for minxbobine now.

Recently been diagnosed with Diabetes myself

To be honest i was relieved in a way because i lost 10 + KG in weight in a matter of weeks, so i thought i might be rolling a 7

With hindsight i had some obvious symptoms like really dry mouth and struggling to produce saliva, as well as the weight loss.

My OH kept on nagging me to see GP, but i put it off because my dear old mom recently passed, and i didnt want anything else to worry about till after the funeral..

Again with 20-20 hindsight i was stupid, as by time i saw GP my blood sugar was at 30.

Had to go hospital twice for insulin shots, and i am on tabs, and changing my diet. Since Friday i have about halved the blood sugar reading, but obviously it is still too high.

Seeing the Diabetes expert at my local medical centre tomorrow, so hopefully will come out knowing a lot more about my condition.

Probably be on tabs for rest of life now which is a nuisance, but could have been so much worse..
    Away from the numbers