Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must be getting old!

Default I must be getting old!

A few things lately made me feel like I am really getting on a bit and wondered if I am the only one.
    1) Kids who 'chat back' to adults like they were equals - mine were taught the same as me, if someone is older, be respectful. You don't have to like the teachers but you DO have to respect their position and do as they ask you.
    2) I went to the doctor and found he looked way too young and didn't seem to know much, am I turning into a cantankerous old lady?
    3) I found myself examining facecreams which claim to make you look younger even though I don't believe in them!
    4) I have clicked through on the fantastic weight loss banner even though it is about Dawn French and raspberry ketones. Am I losing my marbles?
    5) So many things on the news or 'reality' programmes seem like I must be living in a parallel universe?
    6) I am the world's slowest texter and don't always carry my mobile.

I am 52, anyone have any similar 'getting older' stories?

I am 52 as well

My sister sent the following and had to laugh

Subject: EATING IN THE UK IN THE FIFTIES

For those who are old enough to remember - enjoy.
    For the rest - it's a history lesson...!!

Very surprising how time and memory has taken its toll.
    Have things really changed this much in our time?

---------------------------------------------------
    EATING IN THE UK IN THE FIFTIES
    Pasta had not been invented.
    Curry was a surname.
    A takeaway was a mathematical problem.
    A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.
    Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.
    All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.
    A Chinese chippy was a foreign carpenter.
    Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.
    A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.
    Brown bread was something only poor people ate.
    Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking
    Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.
    Coffee was Camp, and came in a bottle.
    Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.
    Only Heinz made beans.
    Fish didn't have fingers in those days.
    Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.
    None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.
    Healthy food consisted of anything edible.
    People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.
    Indian restaurants were only found in India.
    Cooking outside was called camping.
    Seaweed was not a recognized food.
    "Kebab" was not even a word never mind a food.
    Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.
    Prunes were medicinal.
    Surprisingly, muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed.
    Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.
    Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it they would have become a laughing stock.
    The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties .. was elbows!

Suki

"Cubed sugar was regarded as posh" I remember coloured sugar (green, red orange etc) that my parents would serve with coffee for special guests after dinner, it looked liked tiny jewels - must have been sugar and artificial colouring I guess - try selling that today !

I can remember cooking lasagne at school and it was very exotic, anything involving garlic was very alien. Our French teacher used to keep a jar of pistachio nuts on his desk and we thought he was mad, plus he often smelt of garlic so that proved it.

You know you're living in 2013 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.
    2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.
    3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of three.
    4. You e-mail your mate who works at the desk next to you.
    5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends is that they do not have e-mail addresses.
    6. When you go home after a long day at work you still answer the phone in a business manner.
    7. When you make phone calls from home, you accidentally insert a "9" to get an outside line.
    8. You've sat at the same desk for four years and worked for three different companies.
    9. Your CV is on a disk in your pocket.
    10. You learn about your redundancy on the 11o'clock news.
    11. Your biggest loss from a system crash was when you lost all of your best jokes.
    12. Your boss doesn't have the ability to do your job.
    13. Contractors outnumber permanent staff and are more likely to get long-service awards.
    14. Board members salaries are higher than all the Third World countries annual budgets combined.
    15. Interviewees, despite not having the relevant knowledge or experience, terminate the interview when told of the starting salary.
    16. Free food left over from meetings is your staple diet.
    17. Your boss gets a brand-new state-of-the-art laptop with all the latest features, but you have time to go for lunch while yours boots up.
    18. Being sick is defined as you can't walk or you're in hospital.
    19. There's no money in the budget for the five permanent staff your department desperately needs, but they can afford four full-time management consultants advising your boss's boss on strategy.
    20. Your relatives and family describe your job as "works with computers".
    21. You read this entire list, and kept nodding and smiling.
    22. As you read this list, you think about forwarding it to your "friends"
    23. You got this email from a friend that never talks to you anymore, except to send you jokes from the net.

another few year till i hit the big 50 .....but both list's made me laugh esp the living in the 50's ... Kids the days dont know how lucky they are

I had a boy in my class today try to expand a picture in a textbook using his fingers like on a smart phone etc. We nearly fell over laughing so much!

Quote Originally Posted by geegely View Post
    I had a boy in my class today try to expand a picture in a textbook using his fingers like on a smart phone etc. We nearly fell over laughing so much!
    lol Priceless!
    NO more Tescos for me and 'customer service?' by Basil Fawlties - WHY didn't they let them watch the WHOLE of the training DVD's?

I'm also in my early 50s, and find myself wondering why the lads in the policemen's uniforms aren't in school today.

A strange thing happened about a month ago. I accidentally became an "adult onset athlete". I somehow found myself in a sports shop buying running shoes, and within a week was getting up at the crack of dawn for a 5K race. And I'll be doing it again tomorrow, having put in another couple of practice runs this week. I still haven't come to terms with my new hobby and have to pinch myself to see if its real - running, let alone racing other people, is so not me its as if it has been against my religion all my life! Do I need psychiatric help, or just some new hips/knees?

Quote Originally Posted by oldvicar View Post
    I'm also in my early 50s, and find myself wondering why the lads in the policemen's uniforms aren't in school today.

A strange thing happened about a month ago. I accidentally became an "adult onset athlete". I somehow found myself in a sports shop buying running shoes, and within a week was getting up at the crack of dawn for a 5K race. And I'll be doing it again tomorrow, having put in another couple of practice runs this week. I still haven't come to terms with my new hobby and have to pinch myself to see if its real - running, let alone racing other people, is so not me its as if it has been against my religion all my life! Do I need psychiatric help, or just some new hips/knees?
    You need a medal for that !