Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mattress reqd

Thank you for all the replies.
    I understand, only from the briefest research, that my budget may be on the low side - but ultimately, choices have to be made - and I do think that I don't really want to completely bust my budget, but I am happy to consider moving up one level as it were.
    I also understand about the amount of time spent on it - so it has to be a considered purchase - but even if I went along to a shop and tested them - ultimately that would only be for a few minutes - so I don't think I'm losing alot buying "blind" online.
    As I said previously, I am a little reluctant to make a large purchase via ebay - I've bought a few things on ebay previously but generally for amounts of money where if it all went pear shaped then I'm not too bothered really - whereas spending £100+ and finding it go wrong would make me nervous - but it would seem that might seem the best route to take.

Thanks again

I just want to thank wishes for pointing out that you can buy mattresses, apparently with very good specifications, on ebay - I would never have thought of looking - and barafear for spotting the £79.99 bargain (1500 pocket springs with memory foam is a great specification). I'd certainly look on ebay now if in the market for a new mattresss, although I realise not everyone would take the risk.

They say as a rule beds should be replaced every 7 to 10 years. Many years ago I bought a medium quality one which lasted about that long before the comfort went. It cost a fair bit more than the prices mentioned above. My current bed is 20 years young, but still in excellent condition. It cost ££££loads (a month's average salary at the time maybe), my only complaint with it is the mattress is incredibly heavy when trying to turn it.

If you look at the Daily Deals page on ebay there is a single mattress with memory foam top for £59. don't know how it compares. I have a memory foam one on my son's bed I got from ebay and I love it and find it extremely comfortable. Better for my back than the big fat pillow top one we have on my own bed but my husband doesn't like the memory foam ones. I think separate beds is the answer once my son's room becomes the spare room again.

I had a more considered look at some of the dealers on ebay - and some of them have a lot of negative feedback - albeit small in % terms - but quite large numbers - one of the ones I looked at had feedback which suggested ebay was investigating the seller - and that the quality of the mattresses was not as described - admittedly, as I intimated - given the low % negative feedback, there is obviously lots of positive feedback -

at the moment, I am erring towards Tesco - even though it isn't the "quality" I was looking for - I did do some research on wishes' advice about Pillow Top mattresses (that's the sainsbury one I found) - and indeed the reviews were not good.

Last nights sleep was pretty bad - maybe it's psychological now that I know the mattress is definitely on its last legs - but I don't think waking up with back ache as well as having a sh*t night's sleep can all be psychological - so my need is becoming more and more urgent - I did seriously consider an ebay purchase - maybe with one of the sellers whose feedback was not quite so bad......

Quote Originally Posted by melroccan View Post
    If you look at the Daily Deals page on ebay there is a single mattress with memory foam top for £59. don't know how it compares. I have a memory foam one on my son's bed I got from ebay and I love it and find it extremely comfortable. Better for my back than the big fat pillow top one we have on my own bed but my husband doesn't like the memory foam ones. I think separate beds is the answer once my son's room becomes the spare room again.
    Thanks for the tip - took a while to find it - but i did eventually - I think this is "coil sprung" rather than "pocket sprung" - which, with my new "limited" knowledge of mattresses isn't quite so good - hence the reason it is a bit cheaper - not sure 59.99 is any lower than it would normally be sold (on ebay).

Quote Originally Posted by oldvicar View Post
    I just want to thank wishes for pointing out that you can buy mattresses, apparently with very good specifications, on ebay - I would never have thought of looking - and barafear for spotting the £79.99 bargain (1500 pocket springs with memory foam is a great specification). I'd certainly look on ebay now if in the market for a new mattresss, although I realise not everyone would take the risk.

They say as a rule beds should be replaced every 7 to 10 years. Many years ago I bought a medium quality one which lasted about that long before the comfort went. It cost a fair bit more than the prices mentioned above. My current bed is 20 years young, but still in excellent condition. It cost ££££loads (a month's average salary at the time maybe), my only complaint with it is the mattress is incredibly heavy when trying to turn it.
    Haha sounds like our mattress.... I was trying to turn it once, and lost hold of it cos of weight, and it completely demolished a wardrobe !!! albeit one of those temporary metal frame ones covered in fabric....

We splashed out on it a couple of years ago after a mini-windfall, cost best part of £2K for base/mattress/headboard made by Harrisons.

Really comfy, but moving house soon and I pity the removal men having to shift that..

Tried memory foam at the time and neither of us liked it, felt like we "sunk" into bed, and struggled to get off again.... horses for courses though and they must suit some folks.
    Last edited by highlander33; 14th September 2013 at 08:06.
    Away from the numbers

I really need to replace bed/mattress. Bed frame was a cheap metal one from Argos when me and ex bought first house in 1996! Mattress was replaced after he left, but is now 12 years old.

Am currently waking with a sore neck, so definitely need to do something about it, just don't know where to start!
    No longer a friend of Tesco. Farewell DTD.

Belated update. I took Wishes' advice and purchased from ebay.
    Bought a 1000 pocket spring, 10inch deep memory foamed topped mattress for just over £80.
    Bit of an issue over delivery - gave me a date, anytime between 8am-6pm - so I took a day off - and then it didn't turn up - after a couple of phone calls, the driver was back in depot and had "tried to call me 3 times" - apparently he was calling wrong number -
    anyway - I finally got a helpful reply when I sent a snotty message via ebay - this time delivery was rearranged for two days hence - there would be someone in on that day - so I was relatively happy.
    However, the delivery actually turned up the next day - fortunately at a time when someone was in.
    So I emailed them and told them "just in case the re-arranged delivery" was still coming. Admittedly I didn't get any response or thanks.
    Next day, another delivery turned up!! It was politely turned away (what would I do with another mattress??? - plus I am honest)

anyway - I did get a partial refund (approx 15%) for all my hassle/inconvenience.

And so far the new mattress is good!

Thanks for the update, sleep well!

Yes thank you for the update, I would never have thought to look on Ebay.