Thread: Funway - how does it work?

1. Default Funway - how does it work?

I have just posting this question on facebook so my apologies if you see it twice!

I won?t have enough vouchers collected to swap with Virgin before they leave, so I?ve been looking at ?Funway? but am I right in thinking you need to pay for taxes etc? Based on Virgin flights, a flight to Florida taxes would be ?275 ? does this sound right? If so, for example a holiday to Florida for four people in October would be ?2300 ? how much would I end up paying and how many Tesco points would I need?

2. Default

Funway works by you having to pay the Taxes, so in your example you would have to pay the ?275 flight Taxes in cash, and then you can use the clubcard vouchers to recieve up to a 50% discount on the remaining cost of the flights and accomodation after all taxes have been paid.

So if you holiday is ?2300, you must first deduct the taxes e.g. ?500+. This will leave ?1800 to pay, and the maximum number of clubcard tokens you can use is ?900 to gain up to a maximum 50% discount. So you will need ?300 in clubcard vouchers (30,000 points) to recieve the maximum discount.

Then you are left to pay another ?900 of the remaining balance in cash, bringing the total amount of cash and taxes required to ?1400.

I would think very wisely on choosing them as their value for money is poor, however the taxes may be higher or lower than the example given. It's such a shame that Virgin may be leaving as taxes are included when using vouchers.

I hope this helps, as I myself have considered Funway but thought they were very bad value for money and you end up paying more in cash than you do vouchers.

3. Default

Thank you again, that's the conclusion I also came to - very bad value. It's so frustrating as I have been going round in circles with it all.

I am hoping some new company will come on with a great deal (ever the optimist!!)

4. Default

I am a bit confused

This does not sound such a bad deal to me..............

If there are 4 people going taxes would be ?275 x 4 = ?1100 which has to be paid

Balance of ?2300 less ?1100 = ?1200 less 50% = ?600 plus add taxes back= ?1700 + ?600 in holiday vouchers (?200 in Clubcard Vouchers before conversion at 3X)

?1700 in actual cash is still not bad at all for 4 people surely?????

The good old days of paying for most of it with Tesco CC vouchers are long gone
    My avatar is our lovely ex Battersea doggie who we've been privileged to be "owned by" for the last 17 years !

Quote Originally Posted by goodevans View Post
    I am a bit confused

This does not sound such a bad deal to me..............

If there are 4 people going taxes would be ?275 x 4 = ?1100 which has to be paid

Balance of ?2300 less ?1100 = ?1200 less 50% = ?600 plus add taxes back= ?1700 + ?600 in holiday vouchers (?200 in Clubcard Vouchers before conversion at 3X)

?1700 in actual cash is still not bad at all for 4 people surely?????

The good old days of paying for most of it with Tesco CC vouchers are long gone
    Must admitt I thought the same. There is no way we are going to go back to free holidays, just not viable even for the big company's. ?1700 to get four to Florida would be hard to beat even on a discounted package deal.

Also I am sure we had to pay taxes on Virgin Holidays to Florida. The only time people didn't was when they got someone on the other end of the phone who was new and made a mistake.
    Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy - Groucho Marx

6. Default

But these are just flights for 4 not holiday for 4, aren't they? You may be able to find cheaper flights IMO but I am no expert where Florida is concerned and also depends what time of year you want to travel.

7. Default

Just been looking at Funway myself but missed the 50% redemption limit.

I'm not convinced that this is the best used of Deals - especially when you can get better flight prices by shopping around
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" Walt Disney

8. Default

I have read in previous threads about flying with Aer Lingus from Dublin using Avios and the taxes being really low. Don't know any more - maybe some others might know!!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by roshew1 View Post
    I have read in previous threads about flying with Aer Lingus from Dublin using Avios and the taxes being really low. Don't know any more - maybe some others might know!!
    Taxes from Ireland are lower than from the UK due to the horrific levels of Air Passenger Duty levied on flights originating from UK airports. Flights from places like The Netherlands to the US are cheaper than from the UK, even if there's a stopover in London involved!