Thread: Strange question about US customs

Default Strange question about US customs

I get in pain and try not to use pain killers all the time.
    I have found my trusty wheat bag to be very useful.
    I always take it away with me but I have not gone abroad
    for over three years and now we are going to the USA this year,
    I was wondering would it be considered
    as a banned item in your luggage? I know fresh fruit, meat etc
    is a problem and I know my friend had a problem with a similar
    product when she went to Australia.
    Does anyone know?

No idea myself about this - would it be a good idea to contact the airline perhaps? Each airline could be different too...

Almost certainly ok, but best to declare it on the customs form to avoid any possible issue. Might take 5 mins to talk to customs agent but will save you worrying all flight.

Forgot to say that I used to regularly take food Back to USA with me and customs were fine as long as it was declared. No big hassle.

What's a wheat bag?

A fabric bag with raw wheat grains in, can be heated in microwave or cooled in the fridge. The wheat moulds around the body part and the combo of the weight of the grain and the temp eases muscle pain etc. Often have essential oils in too.

Thank you, I think it will be ok looking at the list, as long as I declare it, thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by obscure View Post
    Almost certainly ok, but best to declare it on the customs form to avoid any possible issue. Might take 5 mins to talk to customs agent but will save you worrying all flight.
    Thank you, it's good having advice from a seasoned traveller.

You will have to declare it and then run the risk of losing it. It may not just be a matter of what it is but also where you or it is from. I seem to remember, but I could be wrong, that the customs form does ask whether you have been at a farm recently. I have certainly been asked that by customs officers at the airport.

Wheat is a very important crop and they will be sensitive to problems associated with importing seeds. I guess your seeds are dead having been heated in a microwave but their exact state may need to be considered.

If you don't want a chat with customs and the possibility of losing it, why not leave it at home and buy another in the USA? It's America and they may even have something better!

I have been interviewed by USA customs when importing food (marmalade and Easter eggs) and they have been reasonable to deal with and easy to communicate with. In a non-English speaking country I would be more concerned that I would lose something through misunderstanding of exactly what it is.