Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japan - Tokyo holiday

I got my japan rail passes from Amex travel. Superb service, no mark up and delivered by special delivery.
    Depending on travel dates you need to book seats on trains but you cannot do this outside of japan. I will exchange my vouchers at NRT on arrival.

Not all onsen require you to be naked but most do.

Japan-guide.com is a superb resource and hyperdia for the trains.

Away from Tokyo hotels are actually very good value. I will use ANA crowne plaza and Sheraton with Hilton in Fukuoka and all seem to be very good deals.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved japan when we went last year. Also used Avios for domestic flights which were really good value. Trains are super too.

The big Onsen in Tokyo was great and you could easily spend half a day there. Nudity was mandatory for all the Onsen we used but you will be given a facecloth for modesty if you feel the need but it's really no big deal, just make sure you don't allow the cloth into the baths and leave it on the side.

Do take the time to understand some customs and traditions - it will be appreciated. Some very basic Japanese will be useful but you could survive without it.

Well I arrived back in the UK on Saturday after my 2 weeks in Japan.
    Flew out with BA in First using the Amex 2-4-1 voucher.
    We had 6 days in Tokyo, 5 in Osaka & then back to Tokyo for the last few days.
    To put it simply we had an AMAZING time there!
    We got to see new & old Japan and their massive contrasts - one day we are wearing bunny ears in a maid cafe eating ice cream that looks like a teddy bear & then the next day we are in a temple with our shoes off!
    I'd only been to European countries & USA before so I was a little wary re the language but we survived & it was not as bad as I thought it would be.
    So thanks to all those that gave advice & thanks to everyone on PTS as again this would not have been possible for me without people sharing deals/ways to collect points etc.
    I would definitely recommend a visit to Japan!!

How about the Jet Lagggg?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    How about the Jet Lagggg?
    Didn't have decent times for flights (8.00am out & 9.00am back) so it meant just 3 or 4 hours sleep the night before the flight as we had to be up so early. Even in first I can't really sleep (& to be honest I don't really want to miss out on the films, champagne & food - haha!) so it really screwed me over! Now - in my own bed - I'm waking up at very strange times (even though I'm knackered I'm waking at about 4.30/5.00am), but I guess it will sort itself out.

Can someone advice me on where to buy japan rail pass please
    Thanks in advance

Japan is bonkers - but a great place for a holiday.

If memory serves me right I think we used

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/?curr...FYjKtAodtUUAFw

to get ours.

It was a few years ago, but had no issues in re-deeming it when we landed.
    Last edited by sr123; 4th January 2015 at 15:02. Reason: Info update

Quote Originally Posted by poshpretender View Post
    Can someone advice me on where to buy japan rail pass please
    Thanks in advance
    I'll find the name of mine.
    Our company sent us a free guide & loads of leaflets with advice - very, very useful! Even have advice on which side of train to sit for views of Mt Fuji. Can't compare to any other companies as only been to Japan once but I would recommend them (when I find the name!) & use again.
    Well worth getting a pass! We went for the 'green card' which is like first class. As we had large suitcases/bags etc & space is limited for large bags/luggage in standard economy we went for the upgrade. Had loads of room for bags in first & would often have a carriage to ourselves.
    It was an amazing place & the trains/stations are incredible compared to UK. Want to get back there this year if I can - loved it!
    When are you going?
    Where are you going?

Thank you for replying.we are going in April for 2 weeks on ba 241
    I'm writing the itenerary while sitting down waiting for the northern lights on midnatsol of hurtigruten courtesy of tesco
    5 days tokyo
    3days hakone
    4 days kyoto
    May go back to tokyo for the remaining 2 days
    Somebody mentioned getting the pass from Amex travel but I cant find there
    So I thought I'd asked on here as I know some of you have been

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by sr123 View Post
    Japan is bonkers - but a great place for a holiday.

If memory serves me right I think we used

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/?curr...FYjKtAodtUUAFw

to get ours.

It was a few years ago, but had no issues in re-deeming it when we landed.
    Agree that it's a bonkers place ( Tokyo especially ).
    OP note that NOZOMI ( amazing to travel on ) trains can't be used with the pass.