Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on venice

Default Advice on venice

I'm off to venice in August, I would welcome any tips/advice from your experience to make the most and this beautiful city

Transfers,eating,hotel,sightseeing etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah! View Post
    I'm off to venice in August, I would welcome any tips/advice from your experience to make the most and this beautiful city

Transfers,eating,hotel,sightseeing etc
    Going there at end of P&O courtesy of Mr T cruise May/June - not been before - so will see what tips I can pick up & let you know!
    Also proud to be a Yam Yam !

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Going there at end of P&O courtesy of Mr T cruise May/June - not been before - so will see what tips I can pick up & let you know!
    Me too start at Venice end at genoa
    we must live with our enemies as if they might become friends and our friends as if they might become enemies La Bruyere

Quote Originally Posted by Petermo View Post
    Me too start at Venice end at genoa
    That's the one Sounds great doesn't it Petermo? had a email 2 days ago to say we have been upgraded too
    Also proud to be a Yam Yam !

I would recommend comfortable shoes - so much walking and quite uneven pavements. Take the water taxis - a very efficient mode of transport - but be aware locals get priority boarding. Take the airport bus to the bus station, only about 30 minutes and quite reasonably priced and then take a water taxi to stop nearest your hotel. You can get a ticket to cover both the bus and the water taxi.
    Most restaurants charge a cover charge, which can be quite a few Euros, so just to sit and have a coffee can be expensive. Avoid eating or drinking in St Marks Square unless you want to take out a second mortgage. But do stop and listen to the String Quartet.
    If you like glass, then Murano glass is stunning, lovely jewellery, cuff links etc - every shop sells it. You can get a water taxi over to the island of Murano to see it being made.
    Have been twice and each time enjoyed it, it is a beautiful city.

Thank you sunflower

Have been to Venice lots of times but not in recent years. I have a friend who lived just outside but now she lives in Rome.

We stayed at Mestre and got the bus in.

Use Vaporetti (water bus) fab way to get around. Haggle with the Gondala guys if you plan on a ride - it will be expensive but if you can afford worth it. Back street restaurants are not too expensive.

If you like art have a look at this http://www.basilicadeifrari.it/

Eat gelati and enjoy! I want to go back now
    It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled - Mark Twain ♥

Mosaic

Have you any idea about getting from the airport to the boat? I assume we get transfers arranged but don't actually know. Also can we take our luggage to boat early? When you get on it Southampton its about 3pm to embark but we arrive at the airport about 10 am I think.
    we must live with our enemies as if they might become friends and our friends as if they might become enemies La Bruyere

On reading one of the cruise review sites I think cruise critics someone mentioned they handed over luggage for P and O cruise at airport in UK and the next time they saw it was when delivered to cabin.
    I also read those who leave from Genoa after boarding boat then had a couple of hours to have look round Genoa before had to be back on boat for departure.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    On reading one of the cruise review sites I think cruise critics someone mentioned they handed over luggage for P and O cruise at airport in UK and the next time they saw it was when delivered to cabin.
    I also read those who leave from Genoa after boarding boat then had a couple of hours to have look round Genoa before had to be back on boat for departure.
    Thanks, that's reassuring. I've emailed P&O to ask them but they say a minimum of four days for an answer!