Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who had the kitchen problems - update?

Great result Moonriver :-) I think that amount should help when you look at the colour you didn't want! Lol As Polo said , are you going to change anything now?
    Also proud to be a Yam Yam !

Quote Originally Posted by moonriver View Post
    After jumping through many hoops I had a phone call from LLOYDS credit card today to say that they are letting me keep the fitted kitchen and giving me 8080 which should be in my account in three working days. RESULT! Thank you SECTION 75.

It only took them 10 months!!
    That is amazing - so pleased for you!

Can you update on what happened - I can't recall the exact details (I think the original post got lost when there were system changes if I remember!).
    What happened to the kitchen fitter, what evidence did you have to supply to Lloyds, did they contact kitchen fitter etc?

Is be interested to hear if the kitchen fitter had to pay that or got penalised at all. I do remember the story, what a good result.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Is be interested to hear if the kitchen fitter had to pay that or got penalised at all. I do remember the story, what a good result.
    It's a great result but ultimately if the kitchen fitter did not get penalised, it doesn't seem 'fair' & chances are he'll do it again!

I am not aware of the original story, but great result, well done!

I am surprised though, if colour was the only issue why they didn't take the cheaper option of replacing the doors and/or worktop?

Quote Originally Posted by CD627 View Post
    It's a great result but ultimately if the kitchen fitter did not get penalised, it doesn't seem 'fair' & chances are he'll do it again!
    It will be up to Lloyds to chase the kitchen fitter but I am going to report him to Trading Standards as he has done this to many many people I'm sure.
    Whoever had the idea of rebranding snow as joyous and frolicsome, rather than a colder type of rain, was a marketing genius.

Quote Originally Posted by CD627 View Post
    That is amazing - so pleased for you!

Can you update on what happened - I can't recall the exact details (I think the original post got lost when there were system changes if I remember!).
    What happened to the kitchen fitter, what evidence did you have to supply to Lloyds, did they contact kitchen fitter etc?
    I haven't got time now to write up the whole sorry saga but will try in the next few days. Moral of the story is if you are going to make a sizeable purchase put a small part on a credit card so you can just go through section 75 if things go wrong rather than chasing the seller through the smalls claims court which is quite expensive now I believe.
    Whoever had the idea of rebranding snow as joyous and frolicsome, rather than a colder type of rain, was a marketing genius.

Last summer we underwent a major renovation of our home. We had an attic conversion with two bedrooms and a bathroom, rewired and new central heating throughout, double glazing at the back of the house, new kitchen, bathroom, ensuite and walls and ceilings plastered throughout. It cost a pretty penny and took 16 weeks to complete. We moved out to live with my brother for the 16 weeks and all our furniture went into storage.

I had more or less chosen a wood painted kitchen from Howdens when my sister in law said that they had recently had a new kitchen from a local firm Select kitchens in Aberkenfig near Bridgend.
    http://select-kitchens.co.uk/range/ She said that they had a good price and the kitchens were very nice. We went along to see what was available and really liked a particular kitchen that was manufactured in Pontypridd (the town that I was born) the firm was called AZTEC kitchens and we particularly liked the Trennant kitchen in ivory. Because the kitchen wasn't on display in Bridgend I went to Pontypridd to see the actual kitchen in AZTEC showrooms. It was a lot of money and I didn't want to make any mistakes with the style or colour. There were various colours there and I decided on the ivory and asked if I could take a block of wooden swatches so that I could match the kitchen to wall and floor tiles and kitchen surfaces.

We went back to Select kitchens in Bridgend and arranged for Mr Ham to come out and measure up and plan the kitchen. The kitchen came to 8000 and we agreed that my builder would fit it at a cost of 3000- a lot of money but it was to be the kitchen of my dreams. I put a deposit on the Aztec Trenant kitchen of 4000 and in the middle of July I rang to see if I could have the kitchen delivered middle of August. The owner said that he might not be able to get it delivered until the end of August as the factory closes the 1st two weeks of August for a holidays. I expressed my dismay at the hold up but accepted that there might be a delay and asked the owner Mr Ham to do his best to get it earlier. A few days later he rang me to say that it would be delivered the first week of August- I was very pleased and thanked him warmly. I agreed to go into the shop and pay the balance. I fully intended to pay for the remainder of the kitchen on my debut card but while in the shop I knew I had my Lloyds credit card on me which had 0% on purchases for 15 months and thought perhaps I would put the remainder on that as I was concerned that costs on the renovation might rise and we might be able to spread the cost of the kitchen over 15 months. I winced a bit at paying the surcharge for using a credit card but on the whole was happy with my decision to spread the cost of the kitchen. The kitchen was delivered the day before we went on holiday and we just had time to open one of the boxes and everything looked good. We went on holiday for a fortnight and came back to a fitted kitchen.

As soon as I saw the kitchen I said to my husband that it had a greeny hue and didn't look like ivory at all. The doors also didn't particularly match the work surfaces I had chosen which was surprising as I had used the wooden swatches to match it exactly. My husband reassured me that it looked fine (typical man) and said that perhaps it would look less green when the electricity was connected or perhaps it was just reflecting the greenery outside the kitchen window- I was unconvinced and disappointed with my choice. Towards the end of September we moved back into the house and all our stuff came out of storage. While unpacking a box I found the wooden swatches that I had borrowed from Aztec kitchen in Pontypridd. I compared the swatches with the kitchen and it was obvious that the kitchen was the mussel colour and not the ivory one. Mr Ham had ordered the wrong colour kitchen.

I rang him and explained what had happened and he agreed to come to Swansea and see it. When he arrived I showed him my swatches and how the kitchen doors were mussel and not ivory.

First he tried to say that with all natural wood there is always variation in colour. I argued that the doors matched the mussel completely and a totally different colour to ivory.

secondly he said that I should have checked that it was the correct colour before I had it fitted and that there was nothing he could do about it now 6 weeks after fitting. I said that the difference in the colour was not really apparent until it was fitted and that I had noticed it as soon a I had come home from holiday but could not be sure till I found the swatches.

Thirdly he said that the swatches I had were now out of date and that Aztec had updated their colour swatches. He showed me another lot of wooden swatches and told me that the colour between cream and white was not ivory now but white cotton. I expressed my dismay that he had known that they had updated their colours but that he hadn't told me before I ordered the kitchen and had just gone ahead and ordered it hoping it would be near the ivory option. He apologised but said that there was nothing he could do about it. He left and I was very disappointed. My husband encouraged me by saying that the kitchen looked very nice and when friends and family saw the kitchen they all said how much they liked it but I said I was disappointed with the colour. That was that or so I thought.

Mr Ham left a plan of my kitchen on the surface. I looked at it and saw the words 'Madison white cotton' There was the colour white cotton that he had said had replaced ivory. I then wondered where the word Madison came in after all my kitchen was an AZTEC Trennant white cotton kitchen. I googled Madison white cotton and up came a completely different kitchen which was manufactured in Ireland not Pontypridd. The firm was Kitchen STORI and there were all the different colour swatches that Mr Ham had shown me. Not only had Mr Ham sold me the wrong colour kitchen but a completely different kitchen altogether- no doubt a cheaper one! I rang Aztec kitchen in Pontypridd and asked them if they had ever delivered a kitchen to my address ? They confirmed that they had not. I told them what had happened and they said that they had suspected that this had been going on for a long time but had no evidence of it. After Mr Ham paid his outstanding bill they confirmed that they would be pulling Select Kitchen's account with them.

We then had to decide how we would confront this. I had in the back of my mind that a credit card gave greater protection than a debut card. I did my research and realised that I could claim from the credit card company and leave the company to chase Mr Ham.

I contacted LLOYDS and outlined my case. They sent me a form to complete and said that they would need to make enquiries from Mr Ham. Mr Ham replied that I had changed my mind and ordered a Kitchen Stori kitchen but after fitting I was disappointed with it and was trying to get my money back- all lies of course. I wrote back and pointed out to LLoyds bank that my invoice had an itemised bill all with AZTEC TRENNAT IVORY on it. Had no point had Mr Ham issued me with a new invoice.

Correspondence with Lloyds continued over the months. A member of staff rang me and asked me what outcome was I looking for? Did I want the original kitchen installed or would I be happy to keep the kitchen and accept a sum of cash. I said that it would cost Lloyds about 12000 to put in the correct kitchen with fitting and tiles etc but I would consider keeping the kitchen plus a lump sum. A few months later I received a letter offering me 4000. I rang them and said that I would have the original kitchen fitted which would cost them 12000 on the other hand I was still open to 8000 plus the kitchen. Yesterday I had a phone call offering me 8080.

It took a long time but feel justice has been done. I need to contact Trading Standards now.
    Last edited by moonriver; 25th August 2015 at 23:48.

Great write up, and clearly a company to avoid.

Glad you got a good result. Are you going to change the doors?

Great detailed account of what happened - thank you!

Really hope you contact Trading Standards & get them to look in to this especially if the Aztec kitchen company had their suspicions about Mr Ham (is that is real name? Haha!). This could be serious fraud going on!

Please keep us (me at least!) updated on this & what TS does as I am very interested - having had various 'cowboy' tradesmen! You may find the local paper interested too.