Thread: Should PTS go paid to join?

Default Should PTS go paid to join?

I know this has been touched upon today in another thread but since this forum went offline for 3-4 days recently, i found myself lost without it when trying to keep informed with latest deals, glitches etc.

So with this in mind, and thanks to the people who spent time, money and probably loads of hours of stress to get the site back up and running, do we think now is the time the people who run this site should receive something back for all their efforts?

There is pros and cons and maybe lots of debate on this subject.

What do we all think? Maybe that poll could be reintroduced to get a general opinion now of what we all think as may of changed of late.

I suppose with so much of the information being taken from here & being posted on individual's blogs & various forums it will mean the information is still available to those that don't pay the fee.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky View Post
    I know this has been touched upon today in another thread but since this forum went offline for 3-4 days recently, i found myself lost without it when trying to keep informed with latest deals, glitches etc.

So with this in mind, and thanks to the people who spent time, money and probably loads of hours of stress to get the site back up and running, do we think now is the time the people who run this site should receive something back for all their efforts?

There is pros and cons and maybe lots of debate on this subject.

What do we all think? Maybe that poll could be reintroduced to get a general opinion now of what we all think as may of changed of late.
    What because there is so much value in being a member since the bulk of posting members have left? Anyone logging on more than once a week any more? It was a poor idea when glitches were reported here several times a day. Now its just a social site.
    we must live with our enemies as if they might become friends and our friends as if they might become enemies La Bruyere

I think there will be people who will pay for a paid membership and then still post the lucrative type information in other forums/ blogs ( as currently happens) for their own benefit.

This was discussed in the past but the general consensus was that it wasn't a goer. I think provided the site owner gets enough money to cover monthy server fees which can come from members clicking links and members making donations they were OK with things as they were.

Also as stated above there is the conundrum of how would you get new members as people need to experience the forum first to see if it is for them, and if you have to pay from the outset people would probably just join another site that is free such as MSE and or hot deals for money saving stuff and look at FT and the various bloggers for miles collecting.
    Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy - Groucho Marx

Hi guys.

I run a UK site VERY similar to this (just google my username).

I have, in the past, also mulled about having a 'pay to access information' tiered membership but have always felt to a certain degree that is the worst things to do.

Forums are hard enough to navigate as it is, let alone locking content behind a pay wall.

Doesn't help with SEO I think either.

depends on how much it would be ? and wether any of us "wee fry ptr's " would get any benefit

.. not everyone on here are collecting for world cruises air tickets and goldsmiths vouchers

that's the thing isn't it, if you are going to charge, you need to be able to add 'real' value. i have been able to subdue the costs of running The Money Shed by bringing in 3rd party companies which are relevant and have paid to be advertised / featured.

Maybe this could be something PTS looks into