Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Itinerary for Oz

Default Itinerary for Oz

Flights are booked
    We have 12 nights, not as long as we would like but feel a need to see what Singapore has to offer as well.
    As well as Sydney we were considering Melbourne and Cairns but now feel we are spreading ourselves too thin.
    If we were to visit Cairns we would have be 7 nights in syd, 3 nights in Mel and 2 in Cairns.
    What do you think?

Default Itinerary for Oz

Love all three places.... Well... Cairns I love more for the access to the reef. The area by the marina is beautiful gardens now but the town itself isn't amazing and is fairly limited on decent places to eat.

Singapore we loved the Gardens by The Bay. The done with the rainforest and waterfall is is well worth the extra. Orchard Road is great for shopping.

Sydney I love best - so much to do and see there. Use the hop on-hop off bus to get a really good feel for the place.

Personally I'd scrap Cairns unless you plan to do either the Kuranda Railway and Skyrail or the reef. It's a long way to go otherwise. I'd recommend doing both of these but it doesn't sound like you will have time.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Love all three places.... Well... Cairns I love more for the access to the reef. The area by the marina is beautiful gardens now but the town itself isn't amazing and is fairly limited on decent places to eat.

Singapore we loved the Gardens by The Bay. The done with the rainforest and waterfall is is well worth the extra. Orchard Road is great for shopping.

Sydney I love best - so much to do and see there. Use the hop on-hop off bus to get a really good feel for the place.
    I was hoping you would be around It is a toss up between dropping Melbourne and cairns

Will you be visiting the Ayer s rock tyro?and will you be taking internal flights while in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by poshpretender View Post
    Will you be visiting the Ayer s rock tyro?and will you be taking internal flights while in Australia?
    Yes internal flights
    Haven't thought about it to be honest.
    Something else to think about it lol

We've been twice and not done Ayers Rock yet. It's very expensive to get there and stay there and we don't really see it's worth it. We want to do it one day but on a 13 day visit I personally wouldn't try and do it.

Melbourne v Cairns.... As a place to look round and explore, I'd say Melbourne wins hands down. However if you want to do the reef or
    Kuranda Cairns is worth considering. Polo will no doubt give you her views too.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Melbourne is nice, but in all honesty its just another Sydney. You would have to get out of the city centre to get the benefit of it more.
    If you want the tropical jungles and the reef head to Cairns. If you want fancy city living head to Melbourne.
    Shame you can't get across to the West Coast. Ningaloo Reef is amazing. A reef you can swim to from the shore.
    Singapore is a great city for 3 nights (no more). We went to a night zoo, there was a bat enclosure where they fly around you. I loved it. Mrs sr123 not so keen!

If you have Avios left then worth checking out Avios fares on Qantas internal flights. You may well find Jetstar offer good buys but as with the UK you may find sometimes the best bargains go months beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    We've been twice and not done Ayers Rock yet. It's very expensive to get there and stay there and we don't really see it's worth it. We want to do it one day but on a 13 day visit I personally wouldn't try and do it.

Melbourne v Cairns.... As a place to look round and explore, I'd say Melbourne wins hands down. However if you want to do the reef or
    Kuranda Cairns is worth considering. Polo will no doubt give you her views too.
    I was sure I had a lot of info from Polo but can't find the thread. It may be one of yours not mine. I will have a search.
    I have just looked at Ayers Rock - not this time.
    Kurunda does interest us more so than the reef.

Internal flights using Avios

Sydney - cairns 20,000 plus 23
    Cairns - melbourne 20,000 plus 24
    melbourne - sydney 9000 plus 14

Cash

Cash
    Sydney - cairns 120
    cairns - melbourne 150
    Melbourne - Sydney 80