Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asda APG's - some tips etc.

It's wrong though as they calculate it on the WHOLE shop. So buy one item at 5 at Asda and 5.50 elsewhere, and buy another item at 5.50 at Asda and 5 elsewhere and the rest price neutral (same price at both) the two items cancel each other out and you get just 10% difference back.

However don't buy the one that is cheaper at Asda and just buy the one that is 5.50 at Asda and 5 elsewhere with price neutral stuff and you get 50p back as well as the 10%

Any items cheaper in Asda will knock off the difference on that APG on items that are dearer.

I'm sorry but your 'simple maths' don't add up, try buying 100 bottles of your milk in the same shop, all those 11p cheaper will count against you by 11p a pop.

It's not worked out on single items but on the whole shop and the difference in that shop. Simple maths says anything cheaper in Asda will knock the amount from items dearer at Asda by an equivalent amount.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Having read and read what you are saying I *think* the confusion here is you are saying that it's cheaper in Asda so if you need it anyway it's saving you that money and although you aren't getting it back in APG it doesn't matter as it is cheaper anyway. If that's not what you are saying then I'm completely baffled by what you are saying as a minus amount will always detract from a positive amount! You can't just ignore the 10p cheaper as it will impact on the 10p more expensive comparison.

What I am saying is put it through separately in a non APG shop as then you save the money still but that amount doesn't counteract the dearer at Asda stuff.

I do an APG shop separate to stuff that is cheaper in Asda. I've followed this on MSE and everyone agrees that cheaper at Asda stuff will always have an impact on the dearer at Asda stuff by the equivalent amount.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Everyone who can't do maths properly will agree with you. I stick by my if it's less than 10% different (cheaper) in Asda then it won't have have a negative affect on your APG.

I sometimes feel as if I'm banging my head against a brick wall where basic maths is concerned. People just don't get it!

"I'm sorry but your 'simple maths' don't add up, try buying 100 bottles of your milk in the same shop, all those 11p cheaper will count against you by 11p a pop."
    NOPE they will lose you just 1p off your APG! Basic maths

I'm going to try one last time to make everyone understand.
    You all agree that Asda price comparison is that they are 10% cheaper than any other supermarket? YEP?

So if an item is 1.00 elsewhere then Asda price should be 10% cheaper?
    10% cheaper is 90p isn't it. Call this the TARGET Price. Please say YES!

So if an item is 91p to whatever price you will get an extra APG amount if you add this to a carefully thought out shop - After all the TARGET price in Asda should be 90p and 91p is more than the 90p target so it gives you a small amount of APG -Please say YES! 91p - the target 90p (to make it 10% cheaper) = an extra 1p on your APG.

If the added item is 90p in Asda it is a neutral figure as 90p is the 10% cheaper price or TARGET price. It makes NO difference whatsoever to your APG.

If the added item is 89p in Asda, the target 10% cheaper is 90p BUT 89p is 1p cheaper than the target so you lose just 1p as it's just 1p under the 90p target.

Hence anything within 0-10% cheaper at Asda is safe to go on a shop. If it's under 10% you won't lose out on the APG. If it's 5% different (95p) then you get the difference between the 10% giving you an extra 5p.

Does that help? Now I know why I gave up teaching secondary school!
    Last edited by Wishes; 10th January 2015 at 15:23.
    NO more Tescos for me and 'customer service?' by Basil Fawlties - WHY didn't they let them watch the WHOLE of the training DVD's?

Sorry I am adept at maths but your posts don't make any sense. Every 1p counts as it's on a total shop not on individual items. I also think your patronising comments are uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Sorry I am adept at maths but your posts don't make any sense. Every 1p counts as it's on a total shop not on individual items. I also think your patronising comments are uncalled for.
    I agree with Dom on both counts!
    The cheaper items in Asbo's need to be either left out completely or bought in a separate not APG targetted shop. They WILL make a difference to the total & therefore the APG - I have had personal experience of this.
    Also proud to be a Yam Yam !

MY shop from a couple of days ago........

Due to the ASDA Price Guarantee, you're entitled to a voucher of 7.79:

ASDA Voucher
    Why 7.79?
    Back to comparison results

6 items (4 different) on your bill qualify for comparison ASDA Waitrose
    +6.95

1 x ASDA Smartprice Instant Noodles Curry (65g) 0.20 N/A
    1 x ASDA Smartprice Malt Vinegar (568ml) 0.21 N/A
    2 x Dr. Oetker Ristorante Pizza Pepperoni & Salame (32... 2.96 2.98
    1 x Branston Baked Beans (4x410g) 1.96 1.27
    1 x ASDA Chosen by You Mexican Hot Salsa Dip (200g) 0.88 N/A
    1 x ASDA Smartprice Passata (500g) 0.35 N/A
    1 x ASDA Smartprice Sliced Carrots in Water (300g) 0.19 N/A
    1 x Activia 0% Fat Free Yogurt - Vanilla (4x125g) 2.00 0.92
    2 x Sanex Shower Gel - Dermo Moisturising (500ml) 8.38 3.18

Comparison total (compared products only) 15.30 8.35

If we look at the items that compared...
    2.96 v 2.98 -2p as cheaper at asda +30p for 10% guarantee (APG rounds up to the nearest penny)
    1.96 v 1.27 +69p as cheaper at waitrose +13p for 10% guarantee
    2.00 v 0.92 +1.08 as cheaper at waitrose +9p for the 10% guarantee
    8.38 v 3.18 +5.20 as cheaper at waitrose +32p for the 10% guarantee

That give a total of 6.95 difference on the whole basket
    Plus 84p for the 10% that asda guarantee to be cheaper than other stores which is taken from the others stores price and NOT the difference between the two.

A grand total of 7.79 which is the amount of the coupon printed from the APG system.

Therefore, if I had bought milk as well then it would have been....
    0.89 v 1.00 -11p as cheaper at asda +10p for the 10% guarantee

making a loss of 1p on the APG total.
    Last edited by Lou2000; 10th January 2015 at 16:57.

Thanks Lou2000 - I'm sure glad someone else sees it.

Dom I'm NOT trying to be patronising & I'm sorry if I come across that way. I've always found maths extremely easy, I know others are not so fortunate as myself. My leisure time in my early teens was going through the Algebra text book (very thick) and answering all the questions - thousands of them. How's that for a really sad person! lol I just get a bit frustrated when people can't see that items under 10% cheaper at Asda won't affect your APG one iota. The milk will by just 1p less APG (yep 1p HONESTLY!)

I just think/know a LOT of people don't buy things that are a bit less expensive in Asda as they think it's going to have a massive affect on their APG. you HONESTLY don't need to worry if the difference is less than 10%. Move the decimal place one step to the left to see how much is the max you could be lower in Asda WITHOUT it affecting your APG. Eg If something is 4.80 in Tesco then it's OK if it's 48p cheaper i.e.4.32 in Asda or more. I rarely see items that are cheaper in Asda on APG's from anyone else.
    Yes, everyone thinks wrongly that it's going to massively alter your resulting APG but nothing could be further from the truth. Hopefully when people see the following shop they may understand it a bit better & not be afraid to add something that is less than 10% cheaper at Asda that they want to purchase. I'm hoping in the future that lots more of you will take advantage of 10% or less cheaper prices in Asda & buy things they want/can use rather than those ridiculous (for people with no children) sweets.

Lou you thought of showing it & did so extremely well - Thanks. I guess I wasn't cut out to teach - you probably are! I actually wasn't teaching Maths but was teaching science. I had however thought of doing a sample shop to show everyone that slightly lower prices don't matter one iota. Here it is :-

As you can see EVERY item is cheaper in Asda. Only 2 milk are over 10% cheaper BUT I'll settle for losing 2p.

Total cost in Asda is 28.68 and cost in Tesco is 29.10
    Comparison total (compared products only) 28.68 to 29.10
    Asda is 42p cheaper

Now comes the good part & you've ALL seen this part before BUT it seems like it hasn't properly clicked.

Asda GUARANTEE that they are 10% cheaper than other supermarkets. All the items were cheaper at Asda but only the milk was over 10% cheaper (losing 1p each off the APG) Asda should therefore be 10% cheaper than 29.10 ie. 2.91 BUT they're not, they are only 42p cheaper. SO you get an APG for 2.91 - 42p. A nice APG for 2.49.

This is why the Asda price promise is FAR better than the rest.

I just hope now that others will understand & not be afraid of losing a huge amount for an under 10% less cost in Asda.

Does this make you all understand why I'm not worried about items that are under 10% less in Asda?

Thanks to Lou for also understanding & making it easier for others to understand than I did. I honestly can't help it but I am very good at Maths & it's just 2nd nature to me.
    NO more Tescos for me and 'customer service?' by Basil Fawlties - WHY didn't they let them watch the WHOLE of the training DVD's?

Thank you both for taking the time to explain.

I think I understand now. Ignore everything that is cheaper in Asda, as long as the basket is higher than somewhere else. The calculation is done on the difference between the expensive items (in Asda) and added to 10% of the cheaper basket.

No it's gone again. I could see it on Lou's example but when I run my own figures through it still makes a bigger difference

8 things 1 in Asda and 90p in Tesco would be 80p + 72p (Tesco 7.20) = 1.52
    7 things 1 in A 90p in T and 1 @ 90p A - 1 Tesco would be 70p + 73p (Tesco 7.30) =1.43

so there must be something else I'm missing

I'll be back

Ok it's because Lou's was adding (the milk) not replacing!! I'm going to have to cogitate a bit longer.