Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asda APG's - some tips etc.

Momabee, Your 2nd shop would be

7.00 v 6.30 +70p cheaper in Tesco +63p 10%
    0.90 v 1.00 -10p as cheaper in asda +10p for the 10%

So 60p difference for the whole basket + 73p for the 10% guarantee giving a grand total of 1.33 APG

Altough I have been PTS member for many years and had many freebies with Tesco clubcard points, all this is beyond me. I'm thinking of swapping to Aldi.
    Whoever had the idea of rebranding snow as joyous and frolicsome, rather than a colder type of rain, was a marketing genius.

I'm going to have to say I don't agree with Dom. 1p is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lou2000 View Post
    Momabee, Your 2nd shop would be

7.00 v 6.30 +70p cheaper in Tesco +63p 10%
    0.90 v 1.00 -10p as cheaper in asda +10p for the 10%

So 60p difference for the whole basket + 73p for the 10% guarantee giving a grand total of 1.33 APG
    Noooooooo

I was just coming back to say I'm on board, the main difference on the apg was the loss on the expensive Asda item no longer included, not from the cheaper swapped item.

The bit in red is how I thought it worked but from your earlier post cheaper items are irrelevant (other than to the overall basket comparison). I'm probably tying you in knots as well.

As long as the basket is more (or within 10% (for Wishes)) the calculation is the difference on the expensive Asda item(s) plus 10% of the cheapest store.

I do think thats it. That would fit with what Wishes was saying and both the examples.

Thank you both for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by moonriver View Post
    Altough I have been PTS member for many years and had many freebies with Tesco clubcard points, all this is beyond me. I'm thinking of swapping to Aldi.
    LOL me too after this.

Quote Originally Posted by MomaBee View Post
    LOL me too after this.
    i already do lol

Aldi and Lidl all the way 👍
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Pity Asda doesn't compare with those two.

No need for anyone to throw their toys out of the pram here. I was bought up in the days, many years ago, without calculators where it was just mental arithmetic and log tables. I think everyone nowadays in school should also be made to do mental arithmetic and not be allowed to use calculators as it sure helps a great deal when out shopping.

My grandmother, just before she passed over aged 89, 20 years ago used to mentally convert her shopping back into old shillings and pence instantly.

OK - this is what I used to use when I worked in the lab for accurate (to 4 decimal places) long multiplication & division etc. Then after a couple of years we got calculators. I kept my old slide rule and sold it on ebay about 10yrs ago for over 150.

NO more Tescos for me and 'customer service?' by Basil Fawlties - WHY didn't they let them watch the WHOLE of the training DVD's?

Quote Originally Posted by Wishes View Post
    Pity Asda doesn't compare with those two.

No need for anyone to throw their toys out of the pram here. I was bought up in the days, many years ago, without calculators where it was just mental arithmetic and log tables. I think everyone nowadays in school should also be made to do mental arithmetic and not be allowed to use calculators as it sure helps a great deal when out shopping.

My grandmother, just before she passed over aged 89, 20 years ago used to mentally convert her shopping back into old shillings and pence instantly.

OK - this is what I used to use when I worked in the lab for accurate (to 4 decimal places) long multiplication & division etc. Then after a couple of years we got calculators. I kept my old slide rule and sold it on ebay about 10yrs ago for over 150.

With respect Wishes it wasn't the maths. It was the concept. The 10% guarantee making up for 10p in the 1 is not in debate it was understanding that lower priced items are not used to calculate the apg (only if an apg is to be produced). There's little point repeating the same facts when you're not addressing the misunderstanding.

With my respect Momabee it was the maths. The lower priced items ARE used to calculate the APG. BUT if they are less than 10% lower in Asda it won't penalise your APG.

I'm sorry but I can't see where you're misunderstanding this, I did a shop full of lower prices in Asda and it still produced an APG.

I was actually taking the p.ss out of myself in my post above. I did grow up BEFORE calculators. My calculator was the Stanley tube slide rule for accuracy. I honestly used this & I'm willing to bet 99% of you have never used/seen one.

Before calculators came along then mental arithmetic was something we all had to do every day. Nowadays calculators are used people aren't required to use mental arithmetic like in the olden days. Hence my maths is likely to be better than people who had calculators. That's just a fact of life & one of the few benefits of being older.

Calculators were invented in early 70's readily available only in the mid 70's. The initial ones were VERY expensive and ones that could compute to 4 decimal places were thousands of pounds.

I can't help being old and having an extremely good foundation in basic maths, although from some of the nasty posts it appears I should apologise for this. I'm NOT going to do this. My maths was/is correct, I'm just sad that the grounding in maths today isn't as good as back in my day - many years ago.
    Last edited by Wishes; 15th January 2015 at 08:58.
    NO more Tescos for me and 'customer service?' by Basil Fawlties - WHY didn't they let them watch the WHOLE of the training DVD's?