Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen cabinet lights (under cabinet over worktop!)

Default Kitchen cabinet lights (under cabinet over worktop!)

We put our kitchen in around 3 years ago. We had small strip lights under the units, which are great especially when I'm up at 4am for work as it gives a gentle working light as opposed to the full-on spotlights.

The problem is the strip bulbs fail frequently (one every month or two) and at several quid each it's getting a bit expensive. I've been looking at both LED lights (which is what we have in the spots) and the led strips which are like rope lights but can be cut.

Anyone upgraded to these and any thoughts on if you need more/less lights or, re the long led rope type lights - are they bright enough?
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

I have the led lights that replace the whole unit, a simple remove the whole unit, use the same cabling and connector and plug in the new unit. They are great, I do wish I had chosen a slightly less bright white, but that was my fault, thinking it would be modern having bright white. It's not as the rest of the lights are all led , but natural white..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://m.rs-online.com/h5/mobile/uk/...search_submit=

This is where I bought mine from, but it was a couple of years ago. M

Ikea have a few different types. If you get a choice go for the warm type as the regular ones can be a bit blue.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ighting/16280/

I stuck some colour changing ones under my TV stand.

2014-05-30 18.29.44.jpg

That's really helpful, thank you both. Our electrician (who rewired the whole house) brought over samples of each and we chose the warm white for the main kitchen and bathroom lighting. We too had been thinking of the cool white before we saw how cold and clinical it looked (we've an 1850's ish house so it wasn't really in keeping).

Will have a good look at Ikea and RS - memories with RS as my first boss used to order components from them 30 years ago!
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Default Kitchen cabinet lights (under cabinet over worktop!)

Ps Steve I chuckled at the TV stand, have you got a 15 year old Corsa with lowered suspension, daft alloys and lights underneath!? Fair play it looks quite cool.

Don't know how competitive RS are now, but they were by far the cheapest plug and play kit I could find back then. But they don't seem to have got any cheaper to be honest. Free delivery I think if you register as a sole trader rather than personal too. http://www.dfxtech.co.uk/planetsaver...php?product=83

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Ps Steve I chuckled at the TV stand, have you got a 15 year old Corsa with lowered suspension, daft alloys and lights underneath!? Fair play it looks quite cool.
    I was a Ford guy. I know, only used it once and changed it to green when the football was on. The whole place has wifi colour changing bulbs, I wake up to a gradual sunrise every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
    Ikea have a few different types. If you get a choice go for the warm type as the regular ones can be a bit blue.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ighting/16280/

I stuck some colour changing ones under my TV stand.

2014-05-30 18.29.44.jpg
    I love it
    Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    I've been looking at both LED lights (which is what we have in the spots) and the led strips which are like rope lights but can be cut.

We have the strip ones on the base units so they illuminate the floor - believe we got them from Maplins and they are on sticky backed plastic so easy to install and you can take them round the corners for continuity. THe ones we have you get a remote control with and you can change the colours (normal day to day use we have on "white" - party time we have them colour changing". You can also change the brightness. I'm at work on nights at moment otherwise would take a few pictures.
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...