Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major house renovation

Default Major house renovation

I'm planning a pretty big extension to our house this summer. Whilst I have a builder, plumber and electrician lined up based on quality of their work, I am keen on making my money stretch as far as possible.

Things I've been thinking about are cash back (or good alternative) credit card spending.
    Buying kitchen from B&Q with GC from tesco - therefore attracting 150 cc points per 50 spend (if I use a tesco cc would I get 5 points per 4 spend or do tesco reduce cause I'm buying GC?)

As far as benefits from credit cards go, cold hard cash would be best, but we're also planning a trip to Disney land in the next few years - so could consider a travel scheme (Avios / Virgin). I haven't done the maths to see which will be financially best, although we live in the north so less inclined to fly BA as heathrow is a trek.

If anyone has any advice generally relating to big extensions, pit falls etc that I need to look out for, or crazy PTS credit card advice, etc if be very grateful - perhaps if you've had any positive/negative experiences I could learn from too?

Also it's been a while since I've done high value negotiating, (thinking kitchen will be 10k, plus 3 bathrooms, so I should have some buying power) so any tactics /suggestions there to bring the cost down would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't get any standard clubcard points on B&Q giftcards. So you would get 150 points per 50 spent.

If you paid by Tesco Credit Card you would get a further 1 point per 4 spend, or to look at it another way 25 points per 100 spend. You get these points regardless of what you spend on, including Gift Cards.

So your total would be 325 points for every 100 of B&Q cards.

However paying by Tesco card is poor value as it is effectively 0.25% of spend, or 1% if you swap those points for Tesco deals (assuming you can find true x4 value deals, most deals are less than x4 times compared to paying cash). You would be much better off getting a new Amex card and taking advantage of introductory offers such as 5% cashback in the first 3 months, then use this to buy your Gift Cards, you would still get the 150 clubcard points but would be getting 5% cashback instead of 0.25% equivalent with the Tesco card.

I am sure someone more experienced with Amex card offers will reply to help you maximise, I have had Amex for a long time so have not had these offers personally.

Quick way to accumulate Avios/Virgin is to take out the Gold Amex (via a referral) spend 2k on B&Q GCs in Tesco. Then recommend the OH to the same Gold Amex, and hit the 2k on that one via B&Q GCs from Tesco.

Back of fag pack, and you would be nearer enough 60k Avios for an outlay of 4k.
    Also TCB with B&Q on items you can reserve and collect.

A bit late (sorry!) but thanks for the responses. I've found them both very helpful and will rep.

My plan is to open a BA premium Amex for the companion ticket.
    And then also open a gold account for me (followed by 2k spend, associated MR transferred into family avoid account) and then me recommend wife and put another 2k on there.

I might then consider a further 3month cash back credit card fora bit more of the spending.

The builders are due on site next month, so it's all getting a bit real now 😱

When it gets a bit much, think of us three years ago - we had a complete rewire, replumb, new bathroom and new kitchen (including removing downstairs bathroom and associated wall removal and replaster the whole room from bricks up) then went straight into an extension, which was like luxury to have builders outside most of the time! I can't imagine going through it all again whilst living in the house! Lowest point was getting into bed and finding I was chewing brick dust, then realising the bed and pillow was covered in a thin layer of it!

I've had a few colleagues saying how stressful it was when they knocked through, I just smile and remember back to our 4 months or so of hell on earth!!
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Default Major house renovation

That sounds pretty similar to us Dom. We're getting a 100m2 extension to the rear to create a living/dining/kitchen, then every other room is being hollowed out. Full rewire, full replumb (including wet underfloor heating), new windows throughout, staircase, doors new kitchen, utility, bathroom, ensuite and WC.

But... We will be moving out for 6 months. So hopefully back in by XMAS... I thoroughly expect the stress which will only be compounded by the fact I work 300 miles away from where I live :/

Quote Originally Posted by neilypokie View Post
    That sounds pretty similar to us Dom. We're getting a 100m2 extension to the rear to create a living/dining/kitchen, then every other room is being hollowed out. Full rewire, full replumb (including wet underfloor heating), new windows throughout, staircase, doors new kitchen, utility, bathroom, ensuite and WC.

But... We will be moving out for 6 months. So hopefully back in by XMAS... I thoroughly expect the stress which will only be compounded by the fact I work 300 miles away from where I live :/

Interesting times! Funny enough we've just been given a progress update tour of the house opposite, bought for 500k and they are spending 100k completely gutting and extending it. They aren't living there but in fairness you couldn't do more than camp in it as it is. The chap was telling us how he had a phone call one day when they were on holiday, the builders thought there was asbestos in the roof space! He calmly told us he told them to get a surveyor in... it turned out to be fibre glass

We didn't have any real horror stories to tell, but we had a brilliant builder. We had the windows ripped out and part bricked back up (they'd replaced a sash window in the 1970's, widened the opening and put a picture window in ) whilst we were in Egypt, we arrived home at midnight with trepidation... to find the windows all done, plastering finished and all good. It was only later the builder chuckled and told us how they had discovered one of the (custom made 1500 a throw heritage wood sash) windows had been made the wrong size. We had ordered them independently, he was just fitting them. We had mentioned in passing where we had ordered them, and he remembered, phoned to bloke up and asked him to come down. The wondows had taken a month to supply, he got the guy to make a new one in three working days! Bear in mind the supply of the window was absolutely nothing to do with him.

Most other builders would have boarded it up and left it for our return.

Sorry, I didn't want you to have nightmares! Just saying if you get a good builder thats worth a great deal.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

To be honest I'm more amazed that the guy opposite is managing to extend and gut a big house for 100k. Ours is nearly at 150k spend and it's not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by neilypokie View Post
    To be honest I'm more amazed that the guy opposite is managing to extend and gut a big house for 100k. Ours is nearly at 150k spend and it's not that big.

Its only a modest extension to the coach house, it is mainly rewiring, replastering, remodelling and new kitchen and bathroom, then all the finishing touches like skirtings and painting. I'm only assuming 100k from comments he has made, but it may be more.

Wish I had money like that to spend, thinking my ideas of what an extension will cost have been a little low.

We are buying a house and already know we want to extend, not sure if we are going over an existing extension or into the loft. Want to make a good size master with en-suite.
    Never done anything other than kitchen redesign, any clues where to start (or anyone know a good builder/architect in Nottingham area?)
    Must take phone to bed, must take phone to bed, must take phone to bed......