Thread: Lake District suggestions

here, there and everywhere

Default Lake District suggestions

Suggestions please as to what we can do with ourselves in the Lake District midweek in March Ė 2 adults with a small budget

What I usually do when we are planning a few days away is to book the accommodation and then I use livingsocial, groupon, wowcher and other deals sites like Deal Zippy for activities and nice meals out etc all within close proximity. But this time I canít find anything on any of these websites anywhere close to so I am a bit stuck for inspiration.

Last year we did 3 midweek breaks, York, Ripon and West Yorkshire, using a combination of deals so we explored new places and did things we would not normally consider doing, had some nice meals and afternoon teas along the way, all were resounding successes but this time I am at a loss.

We like quirky interesting places, not touristy, maybe off the beaten track, also very much into history and ruins although OH is not a keen walker. We also try not to go to places we went to when the kids were at home so we are always treading new ground
    I was looking at the lakes Distillery but then I thought I donít like whisky!
    Iíve not renewed any of my membership cards yet this year Ė National trust, English heritage, Hi Life, Taste card.

We will be based in Patterdale so Iíve started by looking at keswick and Kendal Ė both seem to have Greggs and Weatherspoons which my OH likes ( he is very conservative in his tastes, using deals is the only way I can get him away from these places).

Any suggestions please?
    Achieved Gold award for my 50th blood donations in12/11. Now 07/03 just given my 62nd blood donations

I'd suggest a tour of the Jennings brewery in Cockermouth:

oh suggested this as a starting point mary

This is one of my favourite places to visit in the lakes, a small but personal little zoo. The Penguins and lemurs are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penrith has a castle a nice new Wetherspoons also close by are Lowther castle and gardens and Abbots Lodge jersey ice cream farm.
    Ulswater steamer you can get on and off Howtown is a nice quiet area for little walks down very remote lanes.
    Also visit Haweswater where the dam was built and the flooded village of Mardale lies at the bottom of the lake. Englands only Golden Eagle can sometimes be seen flying. The road is a dead end but it is a beautiful area and very quiet. Free parking and some lovely walks.
    Rheghed is a free walk round, some nice shops and cafes on a wet day.