Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Security

No I agree it can't do any harm, and if I had been in that horrific situation I'd probably have it everywhere. I just think it's relatively rare unless you live in a really scuzzy area, and it's easy to get paranoid and go OTT if you don't keep an eye on reality - which is that in most areas, break ins are very rare.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    No I agree it can't do any harm, and if I had been in that horrific situation I'd probably have it everywhere. I just think it's relatively rare unless you live in a really scuzzy area, and it's easy to get paranoid and go OTT if you don't keep an eye on reality - which is that in most areas, break ins are very rare.
    You can put your postcode in and a search for crimes but even if you live in a quiet village you can always get the village idiot. I get your point about how far you go, what's next a safe room etc. It's a cheap outlay for a bit of peace of mind and was useful during setup to check the lights were going on/off as programmed and control from outside our wifi zone.

Quote Originally Posted by melroccan View Post
    I would have said the same as you Dom as I live in a very quiet semi-rural area. However a few years ago a couple of men came in my unlocked back door and one held me in the kitchen whilst the other ransacked upstairs, this was connected to one of my sons who was not even living with us at the time but had got involved with something he shouldn't. Needless to say the back door is always locked now but I have to say the police were pretty useless and mainly interested in whether any neighbour had cctv they could use! So I would say it cannot do any harm to have extra security and may come in handy one day.
    But in that case it wasn't some random attack, it happened because your son had been involved with some dodgy people.

So living in an idealic rural area or a built up scuzzy area is neither here nor there, it would have happened either way as it was targeted.
    Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    But in that case it wasn't some random attack, it happened because your son had been involved with some dodgy people.

So living in an idealic rural area or a built up scuzzy area is neither here nor there, it would have happened either way as it was targeted.
    Yes I agree which is why it hasn't made me paranoid but there is no harm in having security measures if you want them and they may assist the police if something does happen, that's all I was saying. And in fact there have been one or two random instances of attempted break ins even round here, over the 10 years I have lived here.
    Last edited by melroccan; 17th March 2015 at 19:45.