Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Security

Samsung SmartCam (SNH-1011NV/UK)

You guys must live in some rough areas if you feel the need to do this.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

?Thanks for all the replys

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    You guys must live in some rough areas if you feel the need to do this.
    Why do you assume that?

Because I've never felt the need to have such a gadget fitted to the front door! I can only think lack of trust of those you live with or worry of a break in would prompt fitting of such a device. Why else would you need it to monitor your front door?!
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Because I've never felt the need to have such a gadget fitted to the front door! I can only think lack of trust of those you live with or worry of a break in would prompt fitting of such a device. Why else would you need it to monitor your front door?!
    Well I live in a nice area with a low crime rate but the ability to record people breaking in might be of help to the police. My reason for buying it was to use it to trigger my home automation but most apps have geofencing now.

Default Security

I'm not completely naive as to the risks but the likelihood in most areas is they will come through a window or a back door as opposed to a front one. However - did I read you live in a flat? This may have prompted your move to monitor the front door? I just consider it such a low risk as to not think about it. However I've been very lucky. I nearly had my bike stolen from a locked remote shed about 35 years ago (dad saw movement and went out and he fled without it) and we had a shed broken into but nothing stole a couple of years ago. I guess if I'd been more of a crime victim I'd be more keen to bother with such measures.

The last sentence of your post may as well be in some obscure foreign language for all it means to me!

I'm not completely naive as to the risks but the likelihood in most areas is they will come through a window or a back door as opposed to a front one. However - did I read you live in a flat? This may have prompted your move to monitor the front door? I just consider it such a low risk as to not think about it. However I've been very lucky. I nearly had my bike stolen from a locked remote shed about 35 years ago (dad saw movement and went out and he fled without it) and we had a shed broken into but nothing stole a couple of years ago. I guess if I'd been more of a crime victim I'd be more keen to bother with such measures.

The last sentence of your post may as well be in some obscure foreign language for all it means to me!
    They would do very well to come through a window in our flat but the layout of it means they would go past the camera. However this wasn't my reason for buying it as we feel perfectly safe in our neighbourhood.

It's just a lazy way to make our lives easier because I like gadgets.

I'm a gadget freak too. I'd originally bought mine to keep an eye on the cat while I was at work. I have it monitoring my living room but I've positioned it so I could see the front door. It's quite handy for checking to see if postie has been too!

Some insurers will also give discounts the more measures you take and generally I tend to see more security the higher you go up the property ladder.

I would have said the same as you Dom as I live in a very quiet semi-rural area. However a few years ago a couple of men came in my unlocked back door and one held me in the kitchen whilst the other ransacked upstairs, this was connected to one of my sons who was not even living with us at the time but had got involved with something he shouldn't. Needless to say the back door is always locked now but I have to say the police were pretty useless and mainly interested in whether any neighbour had cctv they could use! So I would say it cannot do any harm to have extra security and may come in handy one day.