Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUPERCARD by Travelex

Default SUPERCARD by Travelex

(If you don't know what it is: a VISA branded card which can be linked to credit cards - upto 5 I think but NO Amex - and does not attract foreign usage fees to your credit cards. There are certain restrictions but it 'appears' to be useful in that you can still collect rewards from your credit card. It is a pilot & limited to 25,000 cards - unfortunately applications are now closed as they have met their cap).

Don't know if anyone registered for one of these cards?

I heard about it on HfP but forgot to register until late yesterday by which time MSE had mentioned it & basically crashed the app system.

I have just received a confirmation that I will receive a SUPERCARD!

I will use it in a months time in Japan so hopefully by then others may have already used it & will be offer some advise about it.

Would have been useful to post on here really when you first read about it on HfP rather than appear to gloat about it on here AFTER it's closed?

Thanks anyway 😔
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

I put the app on my phone yesterday but could not register as the app kept crashing. I've just tried again, entering my details in again now and it has accepted me. So I would suggest still try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Would have been useful to post on here really when you first read about it on HfP rather than appear to gloat about it on here AFTER it's closed?

Thanks anyway 😔
    It's not gloating but I am happy that I was lucky enough to get one & I'm not ashamed that I am happy I received an email.

What would have been useful is if I had remembered in those few hours to register. When I did finally attempt to register the app was so jammed up my application timed out. Looking at MSE & twitter now, it appears I was not alone in having the application time out. It appeared to be a waste of time & hence why it did not even cross my mind to post it on here! It is only now that I received confirmation of my application - 24 hours after I applied. Yes I am happy I received confirmation of my application - if you wish to take it as gloating then that is your choice - but everyone else please do not take it as gloating as it most certainly is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamapatel View Post
    I put the app on my phone yesterday but could not register as the app kept crashing. I've just tried again, entering my details in again now and it has accepted me. So I would suggest still try.
    If it works, then go for it - I'm just going by what it said online re application closed.

I looked into this a couple of months ago but couldn't find much use for it as there are fees for UK usage yet I rarely leave the country (outside the UK there are other credit cards I can use without fees; whilst the advantage of SUPERCARD would be the possibility of earning cashback/rewards on cards that otherwise do charge fees). Also the coding as a pre-paid card could block usage of SUPERCARD for some types of transactions.

What is not clear (apologies if this has since been confirmed) is how the transaction appears on your credit card. Im very sceptical that CC companies will treat this as anythig other than a cash advance... Hopefully the OP might confirm this to us in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah7 View Post
    I looked into this a couple of months ago but couldn't find much use for it as there are fees for UK usage yet I rarely leave the country (outside the UK there are other credit cards I can use without fees; whilst the advantage of SUPERCARD would be the possibility of earning cashback/rewards on cards that otherwise do charge fees). Also the coding as a pre-paid card could block usage of SUPERCARD for some types of transactions.
    If you rarely spend in foreign currency then it probably shouldn't be shocking that you struggled to find much use for a card designed for foreign spend...

They've got to make money somewhere so I'm very dubious that their won't be a catch somewhere, but if there isn't then this is a great product for people who do spend abroad. I personally spend ~3-4k in foreign currency each year. Most of it currently goes through a BA Amex (with fees) or a clarity card. I'd certainly ditch the Clarity card and put the spend on a cashback/benefit generating card instead.

Quote Originally Posted by N1AK View Post
    If you rarely spend in foreign currency then it probably shouldn't be shocking that you struggled to find much use for a card designed for foreign spend...
    Yeah, sure, however the most interesting ways to use products aren't necessarily what they're intended/designed for...

I've saw that the first batch of cards was sent yesterday & can take 7 days to arrive.

One thing I am unsure about is using this with my IHG Barclaycard.

This Supercard must somehow 'hide' the fact you are abroad & using your credit card (so you don't have to pay foreign spend fees on your credit card). If I use my IHG Barclaycard abroad in a supermarket then I would expect to get my standard rate of points. However when I pay for my IHG hotel stay using my IHG Barclaycard, I will get extra points on this spend. If I use the Supercard (linked to my IHG Barclaycard) will the Supercard just see the spend for my IHG hotel stay as a 'normal' transaction & give me my normal level of points or will it know I am spending money on an IHG hotel & therefore give me the extra points?

I think it is too early for anyone to have a Supercard or to have used one - but maybe someone has some inside info re the above situation.