Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV recording, catchup TV etc - thoughts please

Default TV recording, catchup TV etc - thoughts please

We've been quite happy with Freeview and a hard drive recorder, but having had two troublesome PVR's (a Bush one we had reduced from T we stored then found it was unreliable 18 months after buying - freezing and locking up) and a Humax we got off eBay that now frequently locks up or doesn't record things for no reason) we are looking at replacement.

I was just going to spend 150-200 on a new Humax with wireless capability giving catchup TV capability, but as the internet is at the end of a 12 month deal (8.50 off the 10 fee for 12 months plus we had cashback) I'm looking at a package.

Anyone got the BT package with the BT TV? We aren't looking at a fancy package but it seems we can get 178.50 cashback plus 125 Sainsburys voucher for around 36 a month inc line rental, fibre BB and a BT box. Plus around 47 one off charges inc fibre connection (35) and delivery of hub and box.

Saves me 150-200 buying one and gives me 300 incentives, for 47 one off cost and 10 a month for the box. Seems a good deal? I'm quids in for at least 3 years.

Anyone with BT TV - would you recommend it? Any other suggestions (I've not really looked around yet). Plusnet who I'm with do a TV service but I'd not get any cashback as an existing customer plus the discount is about to end. I'm not keen to get Sky being as ultimately we only want Freeview and a recorder box, and everyone I know with Sky pays silly money for a package that's more than they need and has to threaten to leave them every year to get a better deal! Seems like hassle.

Any other suggestions especially those who have recently moved and got cashback or BT TV customers thoughts would be really appreciated.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

We use Samsung TV's as they have all the catchup services. Stick a USB in if you want to record or pause.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
    We use Samsung TV's as they have all the catchup services. Stick a USB in if you want to record or pause.

Thing is we are looking at a preset recording facility too as sometimes we can't get to watch within a week, or need to record when away from home.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Thing is we are looking at a preset recording facility too as sometimes we can't get to watch within a week, or need to record when away from home.
    I would need to check as we use catch up rather than recordings. I'm sure you can series record and select record from the EPG as well as do timer recordings. No ability to program the TV remotely that I know of. Maybe I could use my Harmony remote app and control my TV with that and use my camera to watch it

Hmmmm! Basically we are looking for a recorder that we can set - we have built up a library of Peter Rabbit, RaaRaa etc for Toby by series linking and that facility is important to us (set and forget)

So really looking for recommendations for BT TV type service or any issues peeps have had with them.

My friend's got BT tv, fibre optic, line rental etc., she is quite happy with the tv and the recording facility, however she lives 3 doors down from me so just as near the exchange and sometimes her broadband is slower than my Sky non fibre optic. Also after the year she still had to phone and haggle, just like we do with Sky. Going for dinner there tonight, I will ask her more if you want re: recording. But I did consider it but Sky just about matched the bt price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Hmmmm! Basically we are looking for a recorder that we can set - we have built up a library of Peter Rabbit, RaaRaa etc for Toby by series linking and that facility is important to us (set and forget)

So really looking for recommendations for BT TV type service or any issues peeps have had with them.
    I was going to say I wouldn't pay for the service/box but having looked at the prices they seem OK even if you have to pay an activation cost. We have 5 a month broadband but it has no download limits and I can stream from a variety of sources and would need a VPN with BT to be able to do it. Not sure how unlimited they are either as we download lot of stuff as well as streaming.

I would have agreed that I wouldn't have paid monthly for TV but we've got to pay something for new equipment or service to get it. I started looking at BT really because of the cashback and voucher incentives. Fair comment about having to negotiate yearly although BT don't appear to be offering a discounted rate from what I can see, but I'd probably be looking at Plusnet and their TV service as a new customer in a years time. I'm not sure Sky can match the 300 of incentives offered by BT? It makes line rental, broadband and TV service and box around 16-17 a month for the year factoring in the 47 charges too.

Interesting re the speeds, one I need to research I guess

Does anyone have any thoughts on when to apply for a new service? Our Plusnet started on 29th Aug last year. I went through TCB and applied for BT phone/TV/fibre last night, it offered a start date in a couple of weeks but allowed me to manually change it to early Sept. However when I got to the final confirmation page I had no option but to tick a statement asking for the service to start ASAP and I backed out in case they switch the phone over early and I incur a penalty from Plusnet for moving service before 12 months are up.

I can't remember how long it all took BT>Plusnet.

I am just a little concerned the 125 Sainsburys vouchers will disappear, although I appreciate they've come back regularly of late, Sod's law they won't this time!

This BT offer finishes on the 6th. What's your early termination fee for Plusnet? 30?

Mine's the 24th, EE is one months contract price, 10 I think (pay 2.50) might give them a ring to find out.

http://www.simplifydigital.co.uk/faq...rmination-fee/