Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operating central heating remotely

Default Operating central heating remotely

Been hearing adverts for getting an app to control your central heating from your phone. With the weather turning chilly started to think this might be useful for when it turns really cold ie, switch your heating on, say, an hour or so before you get it.

I know there's the timer but thought the app would be more flexible.

Anyone got this pls?

The adverts you are referring to are for Hive.

Cost around 250.

I have an electric system with a programmable timer thermostat that costs half that and it is a very good one with electronic display and energy monitor so you could get a basic one for less, the question is whether turning the heating on from your phone is worth 125 extra. That's a fair amount of fuel to burn through at say 11p an electric unit or 3.5p a gas one, considering Hive may only save you an hour of cost or so here and there outside of your normal routine - don't want to speak for everyone but generally you leave your house and arrive at similar times each week, and a very sudden change in weather that couldn't be foreseen is a rarer event? (such as 24 degrees in the morning dropping to sub zero at night!)

Personally I wouldn't buy Hive out of principle, for the assault on my ears of the original adverts saying "yer phone". There is no such word as yer.

Before jumping in worth considering other options I would say. If money is no object then it is however a gadget that may make you feel warm inside as you use it (but not necessarily in the house!)

Edit: There is a review and feedback in the last year from a few people here if it helps.
    Last edited by TetrisX; 15th October 2015 at 17:37. Reason: Link

Yer trouble is you don't understand how yer language evolves. Yer is now a word in use, don't yer know?

There was an offer on First Utility for a system free, but the tariff was higher, so it wasn't really free. Hive isn't the only system - there's another called Nest, and there's one I've seen called Salus, there may be others.

We just have a simple thermostat in the house! It's set at 18c most of the time. If it gets cold, the heating comes on. If it's warm, it doesn't. I'm not sure what the point is in this remote operation unless you're going to have the house freezing cold when you aren't in it? We find if you do this, the house takes ages to warm up, and if you do it while away, the whole bones of the house seem cold (so even if the thermostat is turned up and is cutting it out at 20c, the house still feels cold.

If you've a reasonably efficient system, and want to turn it down when you go out, it soon warms the house up when you get in and turn the thermostat up, and if it's that cold you'll have coats and jumpers on and it will feel warmer inside anyway. You touch the thermostat up and as the heat goes up the layers come off.

So to me it is just a gimmick. Yer, deffo.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    There was an offer on First Utility for a system free, but the tariff was higher, so it wasn't really free. Hive isn't the only system - there's another called Nest, and there's one I've seen called Salus, there may be others.

We just have a simple thermostat in the house! It's set at 18c most of the time. If it gets cold, the heating comes on. If it's warm, it doesn't. I'm not sure what the point is in this remote operation unless you're going to have the house freezing cold when you aren't in it? We find if you do this, the house takes ages to warm up, and if you do it while away, the whole bones of the house seem cold (so even if the thermostat is turned up and is cutting it out at 20c, the house still feels cold.

If you've a reasonably efficient system, and want to turn it down when you go out, it soon warms the house up when you get in and turn the thermostat up, and if it's that cold you'll have coats and jumpers on and it will feel warmer inside anyway. You touch the thermostat up and as the heat goes up the layers come off.

So to me it is just a gimmick. Yer, deffo.
    True dat.

Yep Respec to dat bruvva
    Away from the numbers

We could get into the debate about whether you should leave it on constant or timed.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
    We could get into the debate about whether you should leave it on constant or timed.

A lot of that depends on your lifestyle. Working irregular shifts, it's pointless for me having it come on at say 7am each morning and Polo is around a lot of the day.

But then we also have the argument "the heating never goes on until "xx October" type people, who will freeze if there's an unseasonably cold snap before their notional date just because it hasn't reached their notional date, which always seems crazy to me unless they really are living hand to mouth and would rather risk illness than being warm.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    A lot of that depends on your lifestyle. Working irregular shifts, it's pointless for me having it come on at say 7am each morning and Polo is around a lot of the day.

But then we also have the argument "the heating never goes on until "xx October" type people, who will freeze if there's an unseasonably cold snap before their notional date just because it hasn't reached their notional date, which always seems crazy to me unless they really are living hand to mouth and would rather risk illness than being warm.
    We have ours on 20 and let the thermostat do it's job. Our place takes around 1 day to heat back up to being cosy after no heating so not good for us.

Turning point for us was coming back off a winter holiday where we had turned it down to 14c. The heating ended up on 22 but despite reaching the temp the house still felt cold. Walls were cold to the touch. The "bones" of the house were cold. Hard to explain, but it took a day or so to get the place feeling cosy again. It's an 1860's house though, so has real bricks and mortar in it, not just wood and fibreglass!