Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Operating central heating remotely

Quote Originally Posted by joaniemerc View Post
    Been hearing adverts for getting an app to control your central heating from your phone. With the weather turning chilly started to think this might be useful for when it turns really cold ie, switch your heating on, say, an hour or so before you get it.

I know there's the timer but thought the app would be more flexible.

Anyone got this pls?
    If all you've currently got is an on/off switch then a device like Hive may be a reasonable alternative to another more sophisticated solution.

That said you can get thermostats that let you set patterns pretty cheap (compared to Hive etc) and the difference may be pretty nominal for most people. The only thing a phone app adds is the ability to change your heating remotely, and for me that translates into being able to turn the heating on early maybe once a week when I get home early...

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Turning point for us was coming back off a winter holiday where we had turned it down to 14c. The heating ended up on 22 but despite reaching the temp the house still felt cold.
    If your thermostat has a holiday mode then you've got the option to set it to go back to normal a couple of days before you get back; we'll be doing that for our trip in November.

wow your heating bills must be enormous! Our central heating only covers downstairs rooms and is powered by the stove. Whomever feels the cold first lights it then an hour later those rooms warm up. Paying to heat a house you're not in! CRAZY
    we must live with our enemies as if they might become friends and our friends as if they might become enemies La Bruyere

Quote Originally Posted by Petermo View Post
    wow your heating bills must be enormous! Our central heating only covers downstairs rooms and is powered by the stove. Whomever feels the cold first lights it then an hour later those rooms warm up. Paying to heat a house you're not in! CRAZY

Not sure who this is targeted at but as we tend to leave ours on 18 (and maybe tap it down to 16-17 when we go out) I'll take it it's me... our bills are around 1100 a year for gas and electric which I believe is pretty average for a 3 bed house. We do have a multi fuel burner so at this time of year that keeps us warm in the evenings and the heating doesn't kick in as the thermostat is in the hall. We probably spend 3-5 on coal a week and hard to say with logs as we have about 250 roundels outside which cost 150 or so as green wood which should last a couple or three winters!

As I say, we always find if the heating goes off for long by the time it's been on for a few hours the bones of the house get cold and it takes a lot to warm them up, which means when you switch it off the house gets cold again quickly. So it doesn't necessarily cost much more to keep the whole place at an ambient temp constantly instead of high-low all the time which also can bring mould and damp problems.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Thanks for views, everyone. heating is off when we're out during the day and when really cold, doesn't have enough time to heat up before we're going to bed. Like Dom says, the bricks get cold. Just can't get my head around the heating being on the thermostat when we're not in the house. When I hear the heating on, can't help thinking money! Which is totally fine when we're in but whilst we're out... As has been said, that's another debate!

Will look into the recommendations Hive, Nest and Solus or get my head around setting the timer.

Thanks for views, everyone. heating is off when we're out during the day and when really cold, doesn't have enough time to heat up before we're going to bed. Like Dom says, the bricks get cold. Just can't get my head around the heating being on the thermostat when we're not in the house. When I hear the heating on, can't help thinking money! Which is totally fine when we're in but whilst we're out... As has been said, that's another debate!

Will look into the recommendations Hive, Nest and Solus or get my head around setting the timer.

It's really each to their own, I tend to think the heating is as much for the house as it is for us.... Having spent tens of thousands on refurbishment and extension it doesn't bother me spending a few extra quid a month to keep it all dry and warm. I did get quite excited about the Nest tariff until I thought about our lifestyle and how really it wasn't going to make much difference to us!
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

I think when you have little ones around you want to keep the house nice and warm anyway, don't you? With only adults in the house we can add a few more clothes and socks but I liked to keep the house warmer when there were children about.

Just can't get my head around the heating being on the thermostat when we're not in the house. When I hear the heating on, can't help thinking money! Which is totally fine when we're in but whilst we're out... As has been said, that's another debate!

If you want to get a house from 16c to 18c then the energy required, whether you do it in the hour(s) before you get home or when you get home, isn't going to change by much. Our gas/electric is 75pm for a 3 bed semi which wasn't excessive last time I checked and our heating is all by thermostat.

During weekdays we have it set to:
    05:00-06:30 18c (we leave for work 07:00-07:15)
    06:30-16:00 16c (pretty sure it never gets this low during the day)
    16:00-21:00 18c
    21:00-05:00 16c

We have thermostatic vales on our radiators so even when the boilers on it doesn't heat individual rooms above their set temperature.