Thread: any views on a tax refund company called RIFT

Default any views on a tax refund company called RIFT

Has anyone used a company called RIFT for tax refunds?

Eldest son is out of the country again so I am in charge of anything unusual regarding his finances - I cant talk to him until next week regarding this

he has had a letter from them this morning which all looks very official and is marked urgent. There is a form for registering for self assessment with his NI number filled in and with their details as his agent

to me it all looks very suss

He is not self employed and does not have more than one employment.
    He is in British Forces and has been for 5 years, nothing has changed, he pays tax at source and he is not a higher rate tax payer.

In face he has also got his annual tax summary 2014-2015 from HMRC and all the figures look normal - when I find the correct website I will put the figures in but to me there is nothing out of the ordinary

any comments?
    Achieved Gold award for my 50th blood donations in12/11. Now 07/03 just given my 62nd blood donations

according to Google it seems legit. Although see if its cheaper to do yourself

http://www.riftrefunds.co.uk/your-tax-refund/mod/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4535373

I cant actually see him being owed any tax at all as his tax affairs are so straight forward
    Achieved Gold award for my 50th blood donations in12/11. Now 07/03 just given my 62nd blood donations

I don't think this is straight-forward PAYE. It looks like a claim on any expenses offset against tax paid.
    In my work place we only pay 40p a mile for own car business use, so employees can/have to make a claim for tax relief on the other 5p a mile.