Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lego Investment

Default Lego Investment

An open thread for anyone and everyone who wants to discuss Lego Investment.

Good idea whisky. I've been dabbling on and off in a very small way but I'm now thinking of upping the stakes so I'll be interested to read what's posted.

I recently bought 2 trade boxes of minifigures for 36 each and sold both for 100 each. Sadly all I could get at the time were 2 boxes or I would have had more. Quick and easy decent profit.

I have 3 Batman Tumblers here that I am debating whether to sell now or keep in the hope of higher future profit. Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Good idea whisky. I've been dabbling on and off in a very small way but I'm now thinking of upping the stakes so I'll be interested to read what's posted.

I recently bought 2 trade boxes of minifigures for 36 each and sold both for 100 each. Sadly all I could get at the time were 2 boxes or I would have had more. Quick and easy decent profit.

I have 3 Batman Tumblers here that I am debating whether to sell now or keep in the hope of higher future profit. Decisions, decisions.
    Don't sell your tumblers yet, they have gone down to 200 on ebay since a few weeks ago when they were selling at 250. Its probably just people finding them in Smyths, the last of the stock available and trying to make a little profit on each. There's about 100 listed at the moment so a race to the bottom going on in i think. Hold fast as I'm sure they will rise back up again in price and they have all the hall marks of a great set.
    Great profit on those mini figures

It seems to be quite a safe way to invest - chance of a good return but at worst get your money back, providing you follow a few basic rules re buying (what you buy and what you pay)

Certainly seems a better bet than shares and a bit more likely to make a return than premium bonds.... But it also feeds a desire to dabble and trade that many of us have.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    It seems to be quite a safe way to invest - chance of a good return but at worst get your money back, providing you follow a few basic rules re buying (what you buy and what you pay)

Certainly seems a better bet than shares and a bit more likely to make a return than premium bonds.... But it also feeds a desire to dabble and trade that many of us have.
    Nothings guaranteed, lots of variables that could easily go wrong like suddenly lego decide to do another production run which has been known, this would potentially put thousands more out in the marketplace with many buying up purely for resale value, the less produced the better the return.
    Last edited by whisky; 3rd February 2016 at 13:34.

Yes, I think you're right, better to hang fire on the tumblers for now.

I'm definitely a dabbler Dominic. Some of my past successes have included greenhouses bought for 20 / sold locally for 180 and small ornaments bought for 50 / sold for 450. I spent a week on the phone once persuading small shops all over the country to sell me them over the phone and post them to me. I then sold them on eBay. Those were the days lol.

I think once you get that 'wow' feeling when you see what something sold for, you kinda get hooked a bit.

It's just a shame I don't see opportunities as good as those arise as often these days.

I think I may educate myself further on the world of Lego.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Yes, I think you're right, better to hang fire on the tumblers for now.

I'm definitely a dabbler Dominic. Some of my past successes have included greenhouses bought for 20 / sold locally for 180 and small ornaments bought for 50 / sold for 450. I spent a week on the phone once persuading small shops all over the country to sell me them over the phone and post them to me. I then sold them on eBay. Those were the days lol.

I think once you get that 'wow' feeling when you see what something sold for, you kinda get hooked a bit.

It's just a shame I don't see opportunities as good as those arise as often these days.

I think I may educate myself further on the world of Lego.
    Read all the forums on lego, research, research and in my opinion go with your gut feeling. Its not a dead cert for profit but chosen wisely will no dought reap it's rewards.

Just starting to look into this, totally get trying to get a 30% discount on RRP as then yo likely to get your monet back after fees postage etc. If you buy at rrp is a risk you make a small loss or be sat on them for a while.

Is it big sets that are the safest. ewok village is 200 so a big of an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by neas View Post
    Just starting to look into this, totally get trying to get a 30% discount on RRP as then yo likely to get your monet back after fees postage etc. If you buy at rrp is a risk you make a small loss or be sat on them for a while.

Is it big sets that are the safest. ewok village is 200 so a big of an investment.

The best returns do seem to be on the bigger sets, yes. I guess it's a case that say sub 100 sets far more are made than 150+ sets - you certainly don't see many (any?) at this level in supermarkets so the supply is smaller. Why all these people who go crazy and pay 300+ for a set they could have bought for 200 a few months earlier don't just organise themselves and buy when they are cheaper, God alone knows.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Maybe it's people who didn't realise the item was going to retire then suddenly not available and want to make a collection of rare lego items or would be investors who suddenly think buying that item will no doubt return a profit if the buy now and store for a while.
    I'm not sure what the make up is of people buying lego after retirement on ebay, would be very useful info to know.
    Last edited by whisky; 5th February 2016 at 17:58.