Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lego Investment

Quote Originally Posted by whisky View Post
    Someone posted on here last week they sold a tumbler on ebay for 260.

I think Smyths have some limited stock left and trying to shift fast but keeping to one per person rule?
    Lego uk store show similar patterns of sale when nearing the end of all stock, comes back in stock, then goes out of stock.
    Its definitely officially retired, check out Tumbler on Lego UK.
    I don't understand why anyone can sell at 200, unless there was a deal around last year for 150 otherwise there is no profit margin on original RRP.
    i feel aggrieved i missed out on such a great set - not only for investment purposes but as a huge Batman fan! Realistically for those who've got them to sit on whats the long term prospects in terms of a solid return?

They did go quickly, each store said they had stock which has now gone. This makes me believe that they trade more like argos where they say have a dozen in a warehouse that they distribute to the store when they click and collect.

Glad I didn't go out hunting for any of these yesterday.

Someone posted on here last week they sold a tumbler on ebay for 260.

I think Smyths have some limited stock left and trying to shift fast but keeping to one per person rule?
    Lego uk store show similar patterns of sale when nearing the end of all stock, comes back in stock, then goes out of stock.
    Its definitely officially retired, check out Tumbler on Lego UK.
    I don't understand why anyone can sell at 200, unless there was a deal around last year for 150 otherwise there is no profit margin on original RRP.
    I think the answer to that one, is people don't like tying their money up for long periods (particularly when nothing is guaranteed).

The old saying a bird in the hand.

I'm very much like that, if I buy something I want to know I can make 20%+ the same day on it. Now I know more about it I'd consider holding longer to maximize returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Marson01 View Post
    i feel aggrieved i missed out on such a great set - not only for investment purposes but as a huge Batman fan! Realistically for those who've got them to sit on whats the long term prospects in terms of a solid return?
    You can still pick one up on ebay for 200 at the moment.
    According to various lego forums the Tumbler is supposed to be the next big investment like the death star etc.
    It appears that a lot of Tumblers have been bought for making money quick ventures or hold on for longer investment purposes. I bought on the back of what I read online, their resale is haywire at the moment, just after Xmas they were happily selling at 250, then a month later loads more for sale on ebay and some at 200 but some still sell at 250
    My hunch is lots have been bagged on the Smyths clear out and Ireland sales, this is what is flooding the market and once Smyths have run out and all the cheap stock Gone from ebay, prices will rise back quickly to 250 again and then continue to rise over the following months.
    My AT-AT's are far out performing Tumbler, seeing 10-20 increases over a month on ebay.

You can still pick one up on ebay for 200 at the moment.
    According to various lego forums the Tumbler is supposed to be the next big investment like the death star etc.
    It appears that a lot of Tumblers have been bought for making money quick ventures or hold on for longer investment purposes. I bought on the back of what I read online, their resale is haywire at the moment, just after Xmas they were happily selling at 250, then a month later loads more for sale on ebay and some at 200 but some still sell at 250
    My hunch is lots have been bagged on the Smyths clear out and Ireland sales, this is what is flooding the market and once Smyths have run out and all the cheap stock Gone from ebay, prices will rise back quickly to 250 again and then continue to rise over the following months.
    My AT-AT's are far out performing Tumbler, seeing 10-20 increases over a month on ebay.
    Missed the AT-AT when they were 50 in asda just before xmas. I would have filled by boots if I got there in time.

But still only with a view to flipping shortly after buying.

Quote Originally Posted by glyno View Post
    Missed the AT-AT when they were 50 in asda just before xmas. I would have filled by boots if I got there in time.

Paid 82.00 just before Xmas on Amazon, saw it online, checked ebay listings and thought that's a quick 40 profit after fees. Decided to research lego then and learnt a lot in a week and decided as retiring to keep hold of and now selling at 100% profit. This set in my opinion is going to be a great investment so keeping hold of also.

Quote Originally Posted by glyno View Post

Have you ever thought about keeping say a few each under the bed of the sets you have seen on massive discounts like the red wing fighter and the AT-AT?
    Could of made an easy grand on just those two items.

Smyths Toyshops seem to be a bit like Mickey's Magic Porridge Pot at the moment. The store I got 3 Tumblers in seems to have them pretty much all the time right now. And they are still available for delivery.

For a retired product it still seems pretty available to me. I was hoping they would be all gone by now. I don't mind hanging on to them but the boxes are so damned big.

Just noticed the price has gone up by a tenner now.
    Last edited by Gill; 16th February 2016 at 10:07.

Have you ever thought about keeping say a few each under the bed of the sets you have seen on massive discounts like the red wing fighter and the AT-AT?
    When I got the x-wing as I had 82 of them I knew I couldn't flip them all in a week as much as I'd like to have.

I'd got an overdraft to pay for them, which meant I would get monthly interest.

At the time as argos had sold them off cheaply there was a few on ebay. My target was to sell one a week to pay for the overdraft interest and wait for the people undercutting me to disappear.

I hoped in the time it took me to sell that it would be retired.

The day ebay did their 20% discount code I sold out, think it was my last 14 I did that day. Had taken me about 4 months to do the lot, but then the money was also being re-invested into my xmas toys business which made me money as well.

Cash is King they say.

Without this strategy I wouldn't have made as much money on other things at xmas, although in hindsight If I'd kept them all for longer I would have made another 6k for the same amount of work.

This is the big draw back with lego as an investment, you know the return is coming just not when. It could be 3 weeks off but could be 3 years.

I'm not at the stage in my life where I have enough financial resources to turn down quick profits.

Although now I'm sat where I could invest in something but can't find anything discounted to take my interest.

If you think about clubcard and lego to max an account on 1000 points for 60 spend you need to be spending 1,800 minimum per account to do this and the window of opportunity is normally say a week. My spend are more like 3k from previous experience.

You always need the cash to be sure not to miss the next big deal. If you can accumulate enough I think the real rewards will come playing both the long and the short game.

I've got a big house we've been refurbishing for 3 and 1/2 years which is the biggest money pit I could imagine. Just like most of us have something else that our profits get spent on rather than re-invested.

Other thing is I genuinely believed the X-wing would retire hopefully within a month of buying.

Never thought the AT-At would be retiring as soon.

Learned more about lego in the last year then anything else, I might even build a set one day.