Thread: Gym

Default Gym

I decided at the start of the year to go to the gym and have now been going for 3 months, I can only go 2 days a week due to the hours I work. I have been doing an hour on the exercise bike but havent lost any weight so I decided to go on the treadmill. I was surprised that I used 500 calories on the treadmill and only 350 n the bike, can anybody explain this to me as I dont understand.

Quote Originally Posted by tubby210 View Post
    I decided at the start of the year to go to the gym and have now been going for 3 months, I can only go 2 days a week due to the hours I work. I have been doing an hour on the exercise bike but havent lost any weight so I decided to go on the treadmill. I was surprised that I used 500 calories on the treadmill and only 350 n the bike, can anybody explain this to me as I dont understand.
    Ive always found running harder than cycling so not surprised you burn more on a treadmill.

If you prefer the bike look up HIIT training.

You have to support your own weight on the treadmill. Maybe the difference is that you're not carrying the weight of the bottom half of your body on the bike?

On the bike as well as the comment above regarding your own weight, depending on the resistance level set on the bike (and the type of bike) there is a level of kinetic energy already in the wheel as you pedal, so the effort of a continuous speed is just keeping that speed topped up to counteract physical resistance and the effect of gravity. So if you stop pedalling, you can hear the wheel slow down (which can take some seconds if you are on low resistance). So bikes are a lot of effort to get started, then less effort for the duration you maintain the speed. Exactly like the engine in a car.

On the treadmill you are forced to move your whole body at the speed of the treadmill (assuming you stay on it!) and if you stay in the same place, there is no stored effort involved (you are moving to counteract the kinetic effect of moving you backwards, whereas on the bike the wheel is already turning the right way).

All calorie measurements have to be taken with a pinch of salt. The gym I go to replaced all the treadmill equipment and a one hour incline walk used to be around 480 calories, on the new equipment it is 700! It certainly doesn't feel like the effort is any different.