Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Filming an Incident in a Supermarket ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,820

    Default Filming an Incident in a Supermarket ?

    Any help on the legality of this please ?

    Work colleagues husband witnessed an argument which resulted in a bit of pushing and shoving by these women that were arguing over the greatly reduced stuff that was coming through. Her hubby was appalled at the behaviour and got his phone out to film all the goings on. One woman then realised that he was filming and then stated;" Its against our culture to be filmed and this illegal in here" (supermarket)
    Although he would do nothing with this film. Would anyone know if this is illegal or not?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M123 View Post
    Any help on the legality of this please ?

    Work colleagues husband witnessed an argument which resulted in a bit of pushing and shoving by these women that were arguing over the greatly reduced stuff that was coming through. Her hubby was appalled at the behaviour and got his phone out to film all the goings on. One woman then realised that he was filming and then stated;" Its against our culture to be filmed and this illegal in here" (supermarket)
    Although he would do nothing with this film. Would anyone know if this is illegal or not?
    Thanks
    Why on earth was he filming total strangers in a supermarket?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winebuff View Post
    Why on earth was he filming total strangers in a supermarket?
    Because there was a brawl about to happen so rather than break it up he got his phone out. If he isn't going to do anything with the footage then I agree why film. It's the norm these days to film everything just look how many phones are out at any performance.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    He filmed because he said that he could not believe the behaviour of these women.
    As regards him not doing anything with the footage his reason was that it could of got a lot worse so it might have been evidence ? One of these women dialled 999 for him filming. He gave his address to the Supermarket and left !!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    15,313

    Default

    As far as I'm aware you can film or photo anywhere in a public place. The only ones who could really take issue with it would be Tesco as its their property. Obviously if you were filming young kids or something you may have something to answer for. But ultimately why film it? Either get involved or mind your own business! Tesco have security and CCTV!
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Tesco have their own security, so I really can't see what he was filming complete strangers for. If Tesco thought these people were causing a disturbance, or acting dangerously, then it's up to them to get the police involved!

    To be honest, if some random person was filming me or my family I'd be reporting them to the police

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,152

    Default

    "Its against our culture to be filmed and this illegal in here"
    In which case don't live in the UK! London for example (2011 figures) has more than 422,000 CCTV cameras, which (again taking the 2011 figure) is one camera per 19.43 residents.

    Whether people like it or not, we are filmed every day without our explicit consent. There is nothing illegal about filming in Tesco.

    Following a prolonged campaign, including a series of demonstrations by photographers dealt with by Police Officers and PCSOs, the Metropolitan Police was forced to issue updated legal advice which now confirms that 'Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel'
    So is a supermarket a public place? It is a private location open to the public. Therefore Tesco have the right to prohibit filming if persons entering the premises are made aware of it - but it is not illegal.

    Many of the problems with filming are not with the actual act of filming, but what the film is used for in future. This is where the majority of laws would come in, pornography, voyeurism, harassment etc. "What about my right to privacy!" people cry. No authority will care you are being filmed (as many of them are already filming you!), only if there are then later attempts to publish that film that contravene any regulations. Filming this incident is not the issue, uploading it to YouTube later on could well be.

    In this instance, it is entirely subjective. You can bet that if this had escalated further and people had been injured/hospitalised or worse, Tesco, wronged complainants and the police will have been glad of the extra footage.

    OK, Tesco has CCTV. Next time you are there, just look up. What will be obvious from the fixed camera positions is depending on location of an incident, either the camera is only going to be looking down on the incident, or potentially too far away / blocked by other bodies. Filming close to the incident could have proven invaluable. How often have we seen CCTV be pretty much useless in actually identifying someone?

    I suspect the comments about culture and legality have more to do with someone who was exhibiting very poor behaviour suddenly realising that there would be evidence of the fact that could potentially incriminate them and forced them to wake up a bit.

    For me I would rather concentrate on what is fueling this barbarism at Tesco when it comes to nightly reduced items. Why are people fighting each other for food? Is this indicative of a much wider issue? Do people fight in Morrisons? Waitrose? Sainsburys? Is it because of this policy of reducing everything out the back then dumping it at 7.30pm?
    Last edited by TetrisX; 15th April 2016 at 17:51.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Thanks TetrisX.
    On a further chat to colleague about this and your thoughts about realising that the phone could incriminate them is spot on. He did this to try and halt things.
    Good post good response.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    15,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M123 View Post
    Thanks TetrisX.

    On a further chat to colleague about this and your thoughts about realising that the phone could incriminate them is spot on. He did this to try and halt things.

    Good post good response.

    Good response just because they agreed with you?

    Have you noticed the growing incidents where instead of intervening people film things? Often see clips on Facebook where my thought is "why didn't they go and help?" Surely filming two people fighting is potentially inflammatory - clearly it was in this case. I don't get why people can't just go quickly and get assistance (it's easy enough to find staff - there will always be at least one on the tills!) or intervene rather than film things?

    Leave them to injure each other but hey it's good because now the one bleeding with their eye hanging out can sue the hell out of the other one because it was filmed? Great.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Good response just because they agreed with you?

    Have you noticed the growing incidents where instead of intervening people film things? Often see clips on Facebook where my thought is "why didn't they go and help?" Surely filming two people fighting is potentially inflammatory - clearly it was in this case. I don't get why people can't just go quickly and get assistance (it's easy enough to find staff - there will always be at least one on the tills!) or intervene rather than film things?

    Leave them to injure each other but hey it's good because now the one bleeding with their eye hanging out can sue the hell out of the other one because it was filmed? Great.
    The OP said, he was gathering evidence just in case it got worse. I don't get it either... I personally would have filmed him filming them for a different take on it. I mean I'll film him just in case it got worse and the woman attacked him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •