Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand

Default Thailand

Never been there before, my son has been living and working there for last 3 years, and i am hoping to get out there this August.

Trying to get a plan togethor, and so far its:

Spend a couple of nights in Bangkok, then get internal flight to where my nipper lives ( Khon Kaen - in the north ) and spend rest of week with him & girlfriend ( can stay at their house )

For the 2nd week, we would like a beach holiday, but thats the difficult bit - we liked the look of Ao Nang ( Krabi ) but thats on the Andaman sea side, so is potentially going to get more rain than the Gulf side ( eg Koh Samui ) - but there's such a multitude of different and varied places, i am scratching my head haha.

There would be 3 of us doing the beach hol bit, me, OH and 13yr old daughter, so dont want any seedy places obviously.

Any info/ recommendations/ experiences etc welcomed..
    Away from the numbers

I worked in Thailand for many years and also am a frequent visitor. You are correct that the west coast will see more rain in August however we have often been lucky with maybe 2 rain days in a couple of weeks. If you do decide to head to the west coast then certainly consider Khao Lak. Happy to share further details.

On the east coast you either have the northern resort of Hua Hin and Cha Am but then you again risk rain. Head over to Koh Samui as a suggestion. I would stay away from Chaweng as that is a bit rowdy and head to some of the other smaller resort areas.

Other options would be Koh Pha Ngan or the "infamous" Koh Tao.

Avoint- cheers for feedback - appreciated.

Yep Koh Samui was on my list of possibles.

A few years back i did a market stall, and one of the other traders sourced a lot of stock from Thailand, and went their regularly, hoping to catch up with him in week and get some more ideas.

My son has travelled a lot in north, and also myanmar & laos, but not so clued up about the south.
    Away from the numbers

I found krabi very seedy, no bars except go go bars. But worth spending a couple of days for the canoeing. Phi phi is very good and one of the least seedy places we went, but more expensive than the rest of thailand.

we went to an island called ko lanta and there was no seediness, but not much to do other than relax.

also went to phuket, staid about 3 resorts away from the main town which meant only about 1 in 3 bars were go go bars. Good place for getting things like fishing, scooba also car hire. The food in and around phuket was also much more western which i quite enjoyed after having stomach issues the whole time i was there.

sorry about any spelling mistakes of the places detailed above.

would recomend the marriot hotel by the river in Bangkok, it was that god we didn't leave the hotel.

you can get a boat from krabi to phi phi, and from phi phi to phuket and then fly from phuket back to Bangkok.

if you want to avoid smut, id advise not scrimping on hotel cost, 4 star min, 5 if you can afford and if you are feeling flush world class hotels are great value for money
    Last edited by glyno; 10th May 2016 at 00:30.

BTW we will be there in August. You can get some very good deals on 5* hotels especially if you know how to BRG. Royal Orchid Sheraton, again on the river, about 59 last time I looked.

NB Marriott was taken over by Anantara and went down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by glyno View Post
    if you want to avoid smut, id advise not scrimping on hotel cost, 4 star min, 5 if you can afford and if you are feeling flush world class hotels are great value for money
    Completely second that. Where you go is less important than where you stay. You can't do back-packing hotels when you're over 25 -
    it just looks miserly. Apart from which, Thai hotels are really good.

For myself, I'd spend more time in Bangkok and visit Ayutthaya, Kanchanaburi, one of the floating markets, the temples.
    There are lots of tourist places to trundle round - Jim Thomson's house, Chatuchak market, dinner on the riverside terrace at the
    Mandarin Oriental, a tail-boat ride on the river and the klongs. After all, a beach is just sand and palm trees, but Bangkok is interesting

Quote Originally Posted by VeryTrying View Post
    Completely second that. Where you go is less important than where you stay. You can't do back-packing hotels when you're over 25 -

For myself, I'd spend more time in Bangkok and visit Ayutthaya, Kanchanaburi, one of the floating markets, the temples.
    There are lots of tourist places to trundle round - Jim Thomson's house, Chatuchak market, dinner on the riverside terrace at the
    Mandarin Oriental, a tail-boat ride on the river and the klongs. After all, a beach is just sand and palm trees, but Bangkok is interesting
    The shopping mal was also good in Bangkok, i think it was called something like mbk. One day we went to the cinema, vip tickets were very cheap and it was very luxurios. I bought my first ipod classic out there and saved about a third off the uk price.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryTrying View Post

Best hotels are in bangkok from what I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Avoint View Post
    BTW we will be there in August. You can get some very good deals on 5* hotels especially if you know how to BRG. Royal Orchid Sheraton, again on the river, about 59 last time I looked.

NB Marriott was taken over by Anantara and went down a little.
    When we were in the marriott for 20 pounds a night extra you could pay for cocktail hor which lasted betwenn 3pm and 7pm. You could order any drinks except champagne or champagne cocktails.

As the drinks they sell are premium and usually imported they are expensive. We used to order whst we want and at about 6.55 order a bottle of wine. They also put on a complementary sushi buffet while it was on.

i keep looking for asimilar thing at other hotels and have never been able to find again.

thanks for all the replies

Some very useful info there.

Take the point about beach being just sand etc, but have had a bit of a rough year so far with family bereavements, and i have had some health issues ( under control now ) so we wanted some chill out time as well .

Where my son lives in Khon Kaen is NOT a touristy place, but be good to spend some time with him and his gf.

I asked him about booking domestic flights once we were there, but he said that although they will still be cheap by western standards, they will be a lot cheaper if we book in advance.

I need to nail down dates for international flights first and book them, then everything will slot in around that, second half of August looks to be cheaper than first half from what i have seen so far.
    Cheapest flights i have seen have been out of Edinburgh, but getting there from Devon would add a lot of time and expense on schedule..
    Away from the numbers