Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with feedback as a seller?

Default How do you deal with feedback as a seller?

Happy New Year!

Prior to Xmas I did take advantage of the various Tesco offers on Lego, selling them on through eBay. I am not a Lego expert but was happy doing this to accumulate large numbers of ClubCard points for conversion to BAEC Avios. No complaints it all worked well. I also bought and sold Mr Muscle sprays again to accumulate Avios. This too worked well. Most sales were BIN rather than auction.

However, I have noticed that a considerable number of buyers fail to leave feedback. Those that did gave positive feedback and great comments about me so I wonder why so many others never bothered? As a seller I do not leave feedback until I receive it, so perhaps these buyers expect their buyer feedback before giving me my seller feedback?

So, what is your policy in giving feedback?

Give none, it is a waste of time.

Generally you can't chose who buys from you and you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer so what is the point in giving a buyer a rating.

The other alternative is give everyone feedback and hope you get the most feedback in return. Just be careful what you wish for though as the bigger the feedback amount you get the greater scrutiny you may come under from the inland revenue etc.

Quote Originally Posted by glyno View Post
    Give none, it is a waste of time.

Generally you can't chose who buys from you and you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer so what is the point in giving a buyer a rating.

The other alternative is give everyone feedback and hope you get the most feedback in return. Just be careful what you wish for though as the bigger the feedback amount you get the greater scrutiny you may come under from the inland revenue etc.
    As a seller I've left a buyer good feedback only for them to issue a chargeback which I won so I agree it's pointless and I now don't bother. As a buyer I see it as important and I leave the seller appropriate feedback. I don't think you're feedback score will impact chances of HMRC investigating you but sales figures from eBay or PayPal. Selling lots of the same thing makes you a trader rather than selling the odd new thing/unwanted present.

How was your sales over Xmas?

My understanding is HMRC come across people different ways and when they request information that ebay and paypal cooperate. Not that ebay and paypal volunteer information without being asked.

I think that if I worked for HMRC I'd go for the boys with the most feedback as it indicates that they have a lot to stake. Also unless the feedback is private it tells the history of what has been sold for the items with feedback left, if these happen to be multi listings and someone clicks on the item it will show what has been sold for those that have not left feedback.

My understanding is HMRC come across people different ways and when they request information that ebay and paypal cooperate. Not that ebay and paypal volunteer information without being asked.

I think that if I worked for HMRC I'd go for the boys with the most feedback as it indicates that they have a lot to stake. Also unless the feedback is private it tells the history of what has been sold for the items with feedback left, if these happen to be multi listings and someone clicks on the item it will show what has been sold for those that have not left feedback.
    I'd go for the one with higher sales volume. Imagine someone selling 10,000 of a 2 item vs someone that sold a few watches with a turnover of 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
    I'd go for the one with higher sales volume. Imagine someone selling 10,000 of a 2 item vs someone that sold a few watches with a turnover of 100k.
    Agreed, but they would need to think someone is worthy of investigating to start with. They are unlikely to waste resource investigating unless they think there will be an outcome.

Most people on here don't start selling big but it soon gets bigger as the years pass and then the potential tax liability gets bigger and bigger.

When I research lego I see quite a few people's accounts who have diversified from clubcard point collecting to buying and selling for profit.

Agreed, but they would need to think someone is worthy of investigating to start with. They are unlikely to waste resource investigating unless they think there will be an outcome.

Most people on here don't start selling big but it soon gets bigger as the years pass and then the potential tax liability gets bigger and bigger.

When I research lego I see quite a few people's accounts who have diversified from clubcard point collecting to buying and selling for profit.
    I think it may be random as I'm PAYE and I got asked to do a self assessment as I earned too much in work expenses. We submitted the info and they wrote back saying no need to do a self assessment again. I forgot how much it was but it was as around 6k so not a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
    Happy New Year!

Prior to Xmas I did take advantage of the various Tesco offers on Lego, selling them on through eBay. I am not a Lego expert but was happy doing this to accumulate large numbers of ClubCard points for conversion to BAEC Avios. No complaints it all worked well. I also bought and sold Mr Muscle sprays again to accumulate Avios. This too worked well. Most sales were BIN rather than auction.

However, I have noticed that a considerable number of buyers fail to leave feedback. Those that did gave positive feedback and great comments about me so I wonder why so many others never bothered? As a seller I do not leave feedback until I receive it, so perhaps these buyers expect their buyer feedback before giving me my seller feedback?

So, what is your policy in giving feedback?
    Forgive my ignorance but I'm intrigued - how did Mr Muscle help specifically?

There was an offer on mr muscle from the magazine, I can't remember what the deal was, I should as I have a cupboard full of sprays.

Buy any Mr Muscle product from a particular range and you got a bonus 50 Tesco points (voucher required from magazine). They had a load of sprays on offer at a 1 at the time, so it was easy points and a lifetime supply of bathroom cleaner.