Thread: Definitely should NOT have gone to Specsavers much cheaper at Asda

Default Definitely should NOT have gone to Specsavers much cheaper at Asda

I have been going to Specsavers for quite a few years now, and the last couple of times had to have varifocals which end up costing an arm and a leg, thinner lenses meant a small mortgage was required. Last time I got my prescription I decided to look around and as I was going to Asda popped in to their optician shop. And came out having ordered 2 pairs of varifocals with Super thin & light lenses (I have a very high prescription so it makes quite a difference). You can even have them tinted too, all included in the price of...wait for it..80 for 1 pair or 120 for 2! Maybe I am late to this party but I am so glad to have found this great value at last.

when you say high prescription, how high?

Mine are -12.75 and I get 1.9 index thin and light without varifocal but will need that next time. Opticians are 600+ for basic frames, Costco have been around 300. So that price is quite incredible if they're 1.9 index super thin.

they are certainly not as cheap as they make you believe - never shopped around as kinda feel compelled to get them with eye test
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...

You didn't say what the saving was compared to Specsavers but have you tried online? My colleague here likes glasses direct. He said he saved a small fortune compared to Specsavers. There is 7% TCB plus a 40% off frames discount code at present.

Whenever I get glasses they always need some adjustment - last time the arms were too long and they didn't sit very well at all until they had adjusted them twice. So I'm a bit wary of ordering online.
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by TetrisX View Post
    You didn't say what the saving was compared to Specsavers but have you tried online? My colleague here likes glasses direct. He said he saved a small fortune compared to Specsavers. There is 7% TCB plus a 40% off frames discount code at present.
    Tried online a couple of times but with a high prescription plus astigmatism, it needs a pro to measure stuff like PD so I never ended up with anything satisfactory. Plus my lenses are so big and heavy even at 'ultra thin' they tend to break the screw threads and fall out or the welds fail. Damn nuisance - have had 4 pairs from various sources fail in the past few years.