Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting 3 weeks for funds

Default Waiting 3 weeks for funds

A friend of mine has just started eBaying things.
    He opened a Paypal account, linked it successfully and the listed some things on eBay to make some extra Xmas cash.
    Items have been selling but all the funds in his Paypal account as "on hold" and won't be released for at least 3 weeks. This 3 week period is not from the first sale, but 3 weeks from every sale i.e. sell today, funds available 18th Dec.

So he's sold the items, the customer gets their items next day or within a couple of days, Paypal make interest on the funds yet the seller gets shafted.

Is this a standard procedure as I'm sure they didn't do this when I open my accounts a while ago?

Does 'your friend' need to lift restrictions on his PayPal account? May need to supply additional information to PP e.g. more bank details, personal details, supply copy of ID?

There's nothing I've seen to that effect.
    Paypal did the verification thing where £1 was taken from an account or card and that was successful.

It mentions that they might do that in case the buyer decides to reverse the transaction and that the time may be reduced if on time delivery, good feedback etc., but nothing has changed. Everything since has a 3 week date and it's been 10 days since the first transaction.
    I never had that.

Itís normal as I had it happen when I set up a PayPal account a few years ago. Itís meant to be so that there is time for the buyers to get their goods and are happy.

I sold a handbag in the last month and sent it to France tracked and signed for. Made sure I was protected by eBay seller protection so I thought. Then 2 weeks after posting the buyer has opened a case for non receipt. I asked him to check La Poste and he says it is held at customs at Roissy airport, according to Royal Mail it has been there since 14/11 but they can't help with foreign customs or will they refund me if it ends up being returned. There shouldn't be a customs issue sending to France! Anyone got any ideas as they are holding £325
    Last edited by melroccan; 28th November 2017 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by melroccan View Post
    I sold a handbag in the last month and sent it to France tracked and signed for. Made sure I was protected by eBay seller protection so I thought. Then 2 weeks after posting the buyer has opened a case for non receipt. I asked him to check La Poste and he says it is held at customs at Roissy airport, according to Royal Mail it has been there since 14/11 but they can't help with foreign customs or will they refund me if it ends up being returned. There shouldn't be a customs issue sending to France! Anyone got any ideas as they are holding £325
    I'd pay the negative balance on credit card assuming you emptied your PP account so you can earn points on the spend. Contact La Poste to see if they have it and why they are holding it, I hope it's insured!

Happy to report parcel just cleared customs on the 28th and la poste tried to deliver it. Strangly the customer then tried to escalate and demand a refund but ebay found in my favour. Yes it was sent tracked and signed for so would have been eligible for seller protection

By the way if you pay the negative balance on credit card it is treated as a cash transaction

Quote Originally Posted by melroccan View Post
    By the way if you pay the negative balance on credit card it is treated as a cash transaction
    Good to hear about the update. Really did you pay via credit card as I haven't been charged a cash advance fee unless it's changed recently as it used to be a perk of a claim to get some credit card points.

Can I suggest using eBay Global Shipping Programme for anything outside the UK - so much easier & less stressful!
    The buyer sees the total price so they won't be hit with unexpected import fees, customs, taxes etc & has to pay this which is included in the postage price.
    eBay GSP calculates the price inc taxes depending on their country - so you can't set this price.
    All you need to do is post the item to the eBay GSP warehouse in the UK (you get a unique code, which needs to be included on the address, which allows the eBay GSP to sort the item at their warehouse) - then eBay GSP takes care of getting it to the customer.
    I've found that it is cheaper than Royal Mail if sending with tracking & insurance.
    As a seller you don't have to worry about it being stuck in customs as that is eBay GSP responsibility.
    I now send all my items outside the UK via eBay GSP and not once have I had a problem - I would recommend using them/it!