Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bees in decline

There's lots of bees in my garden. We were counting the bees on my rhododendrons this morning and one plant alone had 27 bees.

I've got some acer trees in pots in the back garden and we found holes in the soil the other day. A bee is the culprit. He/she flies in when it gets hot and covers himself up and comes out when it's cooler. We have checked to see if there is a bees nest there but there isn't. Strange behaviour !

I haven't seen any moths or midges either but there seems to be a bit if a greenfly invasion round here although we have plenty of ladybirds. So far the slugs haven't been eating too many of my plants but we do have a fat hedgehog living under the playhouse so maybe that's why my slug damage is at a minimum

any advice on getting rid of slugs. we have them in the house (yuck i know) they were living here before us not sure how they got in but i have used slug traps the you are supposed to put beer in and they didn't work. they only come out at night and i can never find where they spend the day. if I'm up early hours i collect them in tissue and put them out side otherwise it just cleaning up the trails in the morning. I'm not keen on getting anything chemical because of the children and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    Before he started keeping bees I'm ashamed to say that I used to use pesticides on my roses. When I stopped using them I found that I actually had less greenfly on the roses due to the increase in ladybirds.
    I don't have roses in the garden (I hate thorns and dug up the roses that were here when I moved in) but I have a beautiful mock orange which is covered in blackfly. I found a couple of years ago that the pesticides didn't appear to be making any difference so I haven't used any since. A good pelt of high pressure water normally gets rid of the worst of them.

The only thing I can't tolerate in the garden is the flying ants. They erupt in both sides of my ............ now what do I call it - DH built 2 long brick planters which divides the patio from the grass with a walkway between the two. Anyway these flying ants all come out on one day of the year normally on a boiling hot day in August and the beggars bite. There are hundreds upon hundreds of them. We have to stay indoors with the windows and doors closed

Quote Originally Posted by gwillymsarah View Post
    any advice on getting rid of slugs. we have them in the house (yuck i know) they were living here before us not sure how they got in but i have used slug traps the you are supposed to put beer in and they didn't work. they only come out at night and i can never find where they spend the day. if I'm up early hours i collect them in tissue and put them out side otherwise it just cleaning up the trails in the morning. I'm not keen on getting anything chemical because of the children and dogs.
    http://www.preston.gov.uk/General.as...X9452-A77F5970

i think i got that. put slug pelets out side to get them before they come in but i'm still not sure as i think they live under the stairs and have even seen lots of the tiny baby ones.

Sounds like you have a bit of a damp problem.

Tiger did you hear about the fact that lots of bee keepers this year are checking their hives and are losing over 50% of the (?)swarms/hives due to a diesease not normally found over here. (radio 4)

Its very frightening really.

(Baffled I reckon your midges are in my garden - do you want them back?)
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx

Yes I heard something about that Mamzie.

I was watching Countryfile earlier and there was a bit on there about bumblebees.
    There was a man using a spaniel to find bumblebees nests so that they could monitor them.

If you are interested in bees and conservation have look at this website:

The Bumblebee Conservation Trust

There is advice on what to plant to attract bumblebees, how to identify them and you can take part in Beewatch trial and find advice on how to build nest boxes and how to identify the different varieties of bumblebee.

thanks for the link - you know looking at that I am wondering if I have every mistaken honeybees for wasps!
    Changes .... PTS is going through Changes ...